Is Belize a good match for us?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are looking into taking a dive vacation in early Feb. I love Cozumel (weather too unpredictable in Feb. Many days lost when the El Norte's move through). I always enjoy Bonaire and Curacao( I think husband is getting tired of the macro and would like to see some bigger guys). Saba was awesome but too much of a PITA getting too and from. We have been looking into Belize as a destination. What we are looking for is:

-Short boat rides to good reefs(30 minutes max). I am not a fan of long, rough boat excursions, unfortunate sufferer of mal de mer:vomit:.
-Smaller, fast boats. In the same vein as above. Not a fan of cattle carts.
-A one bedroom condo. I love my husband, not keen about being in a 12' X 12' room. He is an early riser, I like to sleep in.
-A quiet location. Not at all into nightlife, but not too rural where roosters are crowing all night.
-Not an all inclusive, but not too far from restaurants. Walking distance or short drive.
-Dives that do not exceed 80 foot depth.
-In house dive op is a plus but not required.

We do not have any interest in diving the blue hole. A definite plus would be pick up at dock near lodging. After researching the internet and Scubaboard, it seems that Ambergris Caye may be the best match; although we are open to other locations.

Is Belize a realistic destination for us? Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.

Thank you so much jlevitt! I am definitely checking out Caye Caulker. Looks nice and less expensive than Ambergris Caye.

I wondered that myself. On the Sun Dancer 2 last May, I seldom noticed much movement of the boat. Yes, it can move some. But compared to the typical dive boat en route on a day trip out to or from a dive site? I think you could run into more hassle from the daily commute to/from dive sites than on a live-aboard, far as motion sickness goes. That assumes a live-aboard in a calm region & a good time of year, yes. A further attraction is that the Lighthouse Atoll region is said to offer the best diving.

There are compromises. You won't be eating at a variety of restaurants, all-inclusive but good, and if you want to get away from your spouse there's the sun deck up top.

Have you guys done a live-aboard?

Richard.

My husband and I are looking into taking a dive vacation in early Feb. I love Cozumel (weather too unpredictable in Feb. Many days lost when the El Norte's move through). I always enjoy Bonaire and Curacao( I think husband is getting tired of the macro and would like to see some bigger guys). Saba was awesome but too much of a PITA getting too and from. We have been looking into Belize as a destination. What we are looking for is:-Short boat rides to good reefs(30 minutes max). I am not a fan of long, rough boat excursions, unfortunate sufferer of mal de mer:vomit:. -Smaller, fast boats. In the same vein as above. Not a fan of cattle carts.-A one bedroom condo. I love my husband, not keen about being in a 12' X 12' room. He is an early riser, I like to sleep in.-A quiet location. Not at all into nightlife, but not too rural where roosters are crowing all night. -Not an all inclusive, but not too far from restaurants. Walking distance or short drive. -Dives that do not exceed 80 foot depth. -In house dive op is a plus but not required. We do not have any interest in diving the blue hole. A definite plus would be pick up at dock near lodging. After researching the internet and Scubaboard, it seems that Ambergris Caye may be the best match; although we are open to other locations.Is Belize a realistic destination for us? Thanks in advance for any input and suggestions.
Diving from San Pedro is not as good as Cozumel or Bonaire, but very easy. The reef is close in & boat rides are short We now stay at The Palms Condos, The Palms Oceanfront Suites - Come stay with us.... Very nice, privately owned condos next to Ramone's but still fairly quiet. Restaurants are short walks down the beach or right in town.

I think Ambergris Caye could be what you seek, however, the island also can suffer fron blown out days when a northern comes down. But the availability of condo units is good, more the norm than standard hotel rooms and lots of good to great restaurants though probably not on par with some in Coz. The diving is easier, more convenient but not as pretty. Overall, once I started diving in Belize 16 years ago, I've had no real desire to return to Coz.

Great information here! I have not done a liveaboard and unfortunately, don't think I will be able to do one. Once I get seasick it sticks. Not to venture into 'too much information'; I used to get queezy, purge and feel better. Now when it hits I am miserable and incapacitated until I get off the boat. The Scopalamine patch made a big difference in Roatan, but did nothing for my sea sickness while diving the Sea of Cortez. I feel bad for my husband since I know he would love to visit the Galapagos and Cocos islands, which are liveaboard vacations(first world problems:wink:.

I appreciate all the input and am taking all them in consideration. If you have anything else you would like to add, please do. Advice always appreciated :happywave:

Since you say, you're open to more advice, Let your husband go on the Galapagos and Cocos liveaboards without you. :wink:

I think you would like Ambergris Caye. The standard dive sites are very close since the reef is close to the shore. The marine park is the furthest "standard site" is maybe 10-15 minutes away. Two options for lodging that you might like would be the Blue Tang Inn and Paradise Villas. Both are at the north end of San Pedro by the round-a-bout. The Blue Tang Inn is like a hotel while Paradise Villas is self-catered. The pool at Paradise Villas keeps me coming back. You'd be a block from two markets and a few more minutes from a third. Everything in the "downtown" area is very close and walkable. I just think that overall, it's a location that offers good topside life, good diving, and overall relaxation for whatever price point you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom