Is back inflation really 'all that'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made the switch a few months ago and I'm glad I did. I'm not claiming to be a BP/w guru but I did lots of research before I pulled the trigger and dove a back inflate jacket type twice. I did not necessarily like the jacket type back inflate bcd. I did take a leap of faith on my first rig, but have no regrets. It definitely dives better (for me) that the jacket type/back inflate rig. (I don't remember which one it was but it had the inflator that had the little lever on the side as opposed to on the shoulder hose)

The only way you will know is to try one for yourself. Beg, borrow, or rent one and give it a try. I have a Scuba Pro Glide X that I really liked.... then I bought a Transpac and Venture Wing used off this site for a great deal...then the black Friday special came out at Dive Right In and I bought a small HOG wing and aluminum backplate and a Red clearance Transplate harness from Northeast Scuba Supply. I can tell you that I like the back inflate much better and for me it is easier to trim out. There is no comparison (for me) to comfort in the water, but some people prefer the "hug" of a jacket. On the surface, I had no problems being vertical whatsoever, and there is an added advantage of kicking back like you are floating on an innertube...that's nice...real nice. I'm not sure I ever tried that in a jacket type.

I also like being able to set up the harness exactly how I want it. I don't like looking and diving like a Christmas tree so I don't have many D rings on my set up, I added a utility pocket to the waist band and a couple of fixed D rings. A quick trip to the Dive Gear Express website will show you all of the hardware to customize your rig...and there is a lot. All the bling you could want.

On our last dive trip, I noticed it was much easier and much faster to get in and out of than a jacket as well. the stiff straps and lack of the jacket to navigate through the hoses was easy. I did not even use my quick releases. The speed may be in my head though. About the only drawback I can see, other than personal choice or comfort, would be that they are relatively difficult to adjust. If you had to share it with someone, that would be a pain unless they we built like you. The good news is, once it is set up...its good forever...almost.

I am not one of those that drank the "Dive a BP/W or you will Die" Kool Aid, but I can honestly say I prefer it to the jacket type. I think I prefer the Transpac over the backplate...but its too early to tell. I will probably take the plate to Cozumel next month and put 10 dives on it or so. The Transpac seemed much more comfortable on the surface though.

Try one out and you will know for sure.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay
Not necessarily - there are a number of instructors on this forum who train people at OW level in BP&W and IIRC from them, once the basics are set up it is really only tweaks that are needed such as shifting Drings, adjusting crotch straps etc which only take a few minutes (5-10 from memory) but they then don't need a dozen jackets of various sizes for a small class.

Even for a small school the requirements for different sized jackets must be huge.

I was not sure about the BP&W before I bought it but I certainly won't go back.

I suppose I should try a back inflate or a bp/w one day just to see what the hype is about, but I guess for the 3 or 4 warm water dive trips I make a year, I'm probably well set. But damn... those Ranger BCs are soooo tacticool!

I went from rented jackets to a ranger...
I actually found it more restrictive and less stable than the jackets. After a diving the ranger for the first week of a trip, I had a stiff back, a sore neck and an uncomfortable second week.

Back to the drawing board, er... Scubaboard. It doesn't take long to see a bias for harnesses here. As a welder, I am familiar with fall arrest harnesses and how well they fit/function. I decided to sell the ranger and go with a harness and wing.
(Side note, I also went sidemount but the harness part still applies...)
A proper harness with a crotch strap stays put with no additional tension required. There is no restriction of movement or loose straps once fitted. Goes on easy as a backpack and disappears underwater.

Not saying you should order one, but if you have the chance to borrow, rent or try one, you should.
PS Cumberbundy things are stupid.

I don't think I'd enjoy a crotch strap so much. "I gotta be freeeeeeeeee!!!!!!":bananalama:

I thought I was going to hate it / be bothered by it, but you know what? I don't notice it underwater, and barely notice it at all above water. The material's softer than the main webbing on mine, and with a 3mm wetsuit it Just Works and doesn't get in the way.

Try it.

I thought I was going to hate it / be bothered by it, but you know what? I don't notice it underwater, and barely notice it at all above water. The material's softer than the main webbing on mine, and with a 3mm wetsuit it Just Works and doesn't get in the way.

Try it.
Was diving with a friend who I persuaded to try a harness set up at the weekend (he has had it for a couple of months now but I hadn't managed to dive with since the original discussion about 6 months ago) - he turned round and confirmed my thoughts "I am never diving with a jacket again". The other comment he made was similar to yours about the crotch strap " thought it would annoy me but I never felt it in the water".

If you don't like being squeezed, back inflate is a must. Never bothered me. I have used several types of jacket and back inflates and a couple of different BP/W. In general, I can work well with any jacket style if I can get it on, both under the water and on the surface. For back inflates and BP/W, size/length is more critical. As a tall guy, typical travel back inflates were nice in the water, but just a pain on the surface. Too short. When I got just the right amount of air to allow any amount of back time without much effort, any waves would deluge me. Same with a short BP/W. When I finally get the right size/length of BP, with a wing that had more air towards the bottom, it was overall the most comfortable both above and below the surface, but took some time to adjust just right.

Regarding teaching students out of the blocks, I regularly work with an instructor that teaches in back inflates. Even with regular adjusting, surface intervals are just difficult. Most students seem to get much less from the class because they are fighting the equipment, than when I help instructors that use jackets. And frankly this instructor with the back inflates is one of the best divers/instructors I have worked with, including being a Navy diver. I know that more time can be spent getting the jackets just right, but that is all time that would be better spent below the surface on teaching the tools of neutral bouyancy etc.

Agree that with all gear, trying is absolutely the best. If that is difficult, I have seen more people able to quickly adapt to jackets than to back inflates, and many people who dive regularly ultimately try enough different types and end up with back inflates or BP/W.

I have never used a back inflated BCD, just jacket style. I did originally want the Axiom, but my local dive shop was sold out of them in my size. So, I purchased the Pro HD BCD. I don't know this first hand, but I have heard that it really doesn't matter if you use a back inflated BCD or a jacket BCD. During my Open Water certification, the instructor told us to use whichever we are most comfortable using. Since jacket style is all I have ever used, and has worked well for me, I have stuck with them.

Back
Top Bottom