Is back inflation really 'all that'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you also have to compensate for the buoyancy swing of your tank. That's about 6 pounds for an 80cf tank
So now I've got my own BC I can really get my weighing sorted for my usual type of diving. making sure I'm neutrally buoyant at the safety stop (without air), which is not something that's specifically been pointed out to me before, or if it was at some point during training, I'd forgotten. I've normally been ok at safety stops on more recent dives in rental BCs though, as I haven't had any issues.
When I've done buoyancy practice in the past it was at the beginning of dives with a full tank.
Cheers.

Last edited:
In terms of function? Doesn't really matter. I can dive successfully and maintain good boyancy with both. In terms of personal preference and comfort? I'm not going back to a jacket BC. Do not like the squeeze, do not like the feeling of being 'blocked in', and much prefer to stability of a simple hog harnass (that fits me perfectly) with a crotch strap (no more riding up) and a tank that's firmly attached to my back and doesn't move even a little when I roll around or hang upside down to peer under an overhang

In terms of safe diving & function, I think any BC will do. My personal preference is a back inflate (for reasons discussed below), but when I find myself in a jacket BC, I can dive with no serious problems. If you're fine with your jacket style BC, then its all good, why worry about it.

I know many folks say that its easier to trim out in a back inflate, and especially a BP/W -- as the weight is already pretty much distributed as it should be. However, when I was in a jacket, I didn't find trim especially hard to achieve -- it just requires proper weighting & placement, using the trim pockets. That fine tuning of weight is also necessary with a back inflate, so no real difference IMO.

Ive heard claims that a back-inflate is more streamlined in the water compared to a jacket. I question that. Its seems that whether the bubble is wrapped around you or its strapped above you, its still a profile in the water, it will still create resistance. I'd like to see data that backs up the supposed streamlining advantage.

So on functional issues, jackets BCs & back inflates are a wash, IMO.

However, I prefer a back inflate (what I use now), mainly because I don't like how a jacket squeezes when its inflated, sometimes making hard to access pockets. Jackets also requires to tighten straps when you deflate, in my experience. These aren't huge issues, but enough for me to have a preference. If you don't experience these issues in your jacket BC, then no problem.

A BP/W w/o any padding (my back inflate & your jacket probably have some padding) would probably allow me to drop a few lbs, which would be welcome, but since my back inflate works fine, I wont worry about it too much.

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't seem to have the problems with this bcd that seem to turn people off to jacket style bcds. The jacket and tank stay firmly in place no matter which direction my head is in and secondly, I don't get a squeeze from inflating. I even checked this today just orally inflating it in my bedroom. (Did that sound right?!?!?).
I suppose I should try a back inflate or a bp/w one day just to see what the hype is about, but I guess for the 3 or 4 warm water dive trips I make a year, I'm probably well set. But damn... those Ranger BCs are soooo tacticool!

I even checked this today just orally inflating it in my bedroom. (Did that sound right?!?!?).

:rofl3: No, that just sounds wrong, but whatever floats your boat :wink:

Seriously though, I've read very good things about the Axiom and it was strongly recommended by my LDC. I ended up with a Litehawk, but that was more to do with getting a great deal and it's lighter weight for travelling rather than anything particularly against the axiom. I haven't dived the litehawk yet as I only got it a couple of weeks ago so can't compare it to a jacket style yet.

I started out in a jacket but switch to a back inflate three years. I love the feel of the back inflators have not regretted switching. With that said the most important thing about any pice of dive gear is your personal comfort. The more comfortable you are the better diver you become.

I have to say that I found the comfort of the BP&W was the winner for me.

With UK diving in a 7mm wetsuit & a 12l steel cylinder, I have the potential to need a whole lot of air in a BCD (think enough to compensate for 5mm of suit compression @1-1.5kg/mm and about 2.5kg of air). That means with a conventional jacket at depth I have a substantial amount of air around my ribs (which hinders breathing). Put the air cell at the rear and there is no issue.

Just echos what others have said. I *thought* I really wanted the most popular BCD styled for women at the time. Still in OW class and was clueless about back vs jacket options and never heard of backplates or wings. Searched until I found a local dive shop that carried the BCD. Went in, tried it on and hated the feel from the start. Too confining. And heavy! Marked it and jackets off the list.

Then I saw a travel BCD. Tried it on and loved it even before I hit the water. Light weight and allowed much more freedon of movement. And yes it was a back inflate. Happily dove that rig for years until I learned about BPWs. Now I will never willingly dive anything else.

So in the end it all just comes down to personal preference. They all work and like eveything else, no one option is ever best for everyone.

I have to say that I found the comfort of the BP&W was the winner for me.

With UK diving in a 7mm wetsuit & a 12l steel cylinder, I have the potential to need a whole lot of air in a BCD (think enough to compensate for 5mm of suit compression @1-1.5kg/mm and about 2.5kg of air). That means with a conventional jacket at depth I have a substantial amount of air around my ribs (which hinders breathing). Put the air cell at the rear and there is no issue.

You know this is something that I hadn't thought of, but sounds very true -- that the issue of jacket squeeze is amplified in cold water, as you need more lift.

I sometimes rent (invariably jackets) on warm water vacations, and I dont really recall the feeling of that squeeze happening. But when I used a jacket here in Califas, I remember that I felt like the Michelin Man. It was the reason I switched to back inflate.

I made the switch a few months ago and I'm glad I did. I'm not claiming to be a BP/w guru but I did lots of research before I pulled the trigger and dove a back inflate jacket type twice. I did not necessarily like the jacket type back inflate bcd. I did take a leap of faith on my first rig, but have no regrets. It definitely dives better (for me) that the jacket type/back inflate rig. (I don't remember which one it was but it had the inflator that had the little lever on the side as opposed to on the shoulder hose)

The only way you will know is to try one for yourself. Beg, borrow, or rent one and give it a try. I have a Scuba Pro Glide X that I really liked.... then I bought a Transpac and Venture Wing used off this site for a great deal...then the black Friday special came out at Dive Right In and I bought a small HOG wing and aluminum backplate and a Red clearance Transplate harness from Northeast Scuba Supply. I can tell you that I like the back inflate much better and for me it is easier to trim out. There is no comparison (for me) to comfort in the water, but some people prefer the "hug" of a jacket. On the surface, I had no problems being vertical whatsoever, and there is an added advantage of kicking back like you are floating on an innertube...that's nice...real nice. I'm not sure I ever tried that in a jacket type.

I also like being able to set up the harness exactly how I want it. I don't like looking and diving like a Christmas tree so I don't have many D rings on my set up, I added a utility pocket to the waist band and a couple of fixed D rings. A quick trip to the Dive Gear Express website will show you all of the hardware to customize your rig...and there is a lot. All the bling you could want.

On our last dive trip, I noticed it was much easier and much faster to get in and out of than a jacket as well. the stiff straps and lack of the jacket to navigate through the hoses was easy. I did not even use my quick releases. The speed may be in my head though. About the only drawback I can see, other than personal choice or comfort, would be that they are relatively difficult to adjust. If you had to share it with someone, that would be a pain unless they we built like you. The good news is, once it is set up...its good forever...almost.

I am not one of those that drank the "Dive a BP/W or you will Die" Kool Aid, but I can honestly say I prefer it to the jacket type. I think I prefer the Transpac over the backplate...but its too early to tell. I will probably take the plate to Cozumel next month and put 10 dives on it or so. The Transpac seemed much more comfortable on the surface though.

Try one out and you will know for sure.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom