Is anyone familiar with a camera product called SubAleart?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blibecap

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This was a product that was manufactured called SUBALERT is a unique safety device designed to prevent accidental leaks in [FONT=&quot]Nikonus [/FONT]and camera and video housings. problems. I am interested in the technology and thoughts of reverse engineering the product as well as getting input from others on the concept.

SUBALERT-Your only solution to prevent underwater camera leaks. SUBALERT is a unique safety device designed to prevent accidental leaks in NIKONOS V, NIKONOS RS and camera and video housings. Underwater camera leaks, underwater camera floods, underwa

SUBALERT uses high vacuum to compress all the O-rings in both the camera and lens to an equivalent depth of 23 feet.
This "on-land" procedure usually performed 15 to 20 minutes before the dive, eliminates all the changes O-rings undergo during the first 25 feet of descent, the time when most leaks take place, and allows SUBALERT's electronic system to detect any impending leaks.

Any one want to join or have constructive comments?

You'll be competing with Gates: Gates Underwater Housings - Seal Check

Personally it's not something I would ever be interested in. Double o-ring seals have worked well enough for me in the 4 years I've been shooting video.

Well then it sounds like a idea that would work. I hope to be at 1/10 th the advertised cost and not quite as nice or fancy or big.
Bill

Hi Everyone

Well it's been a while since I have posted a update. I have been busy skiing and shoveling snow but I did find some time to work on the project. I have assembled the prototype and needed to make some changes to the original schematic. After the modifications it works great. I now have to run those modifications past the EE who is working with me on the project and then we will go on to the next step of making it small and using surface mount chips.

This section is a area inviting comments and feedback. Without getting too much into the details of how things work I will attempt to describe the circuit as well as it's functions. One of the concerns when designing the project was power consumption as well as space required as we already have the connection to the housing solved. We have a power saving feature installed that will really extend the length of the battery life. My minimum requirements were to be able to run on one battery for 12 hours a day for at least 7 days on a single coin cell. After all coin cells are not that expensive.

The circuit also contains a moisture sensor. With a good battery, anytime there is water in the housing you will get a red flashing alarm regardless if you are in power-saving mode or not. The unit will automatically come out of power-saver mode as we didn't want any manual switches etc.

If you have less than 2" of vacuum in the housing then you will be in power saving mode.

If you have from 2" to 8" of vacuum in the housing then you will see a rapid flashing red alarm.

If you have from 8" to 10" of vacuum in the housing then you will see a slow flashing red alarm.

If you have from 10" to 12" of vacuum in the housing then you will see a solid green safe light.

The way I figure it if you have a lose of vacuum you have a problem !!!!!

I am open to ideas and suggestions in this area.

More updates to follow.

Also see threads http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=33256&st=0 and HugyCheck in Ike housing?? - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Bill Libecap

Here is a quick update on the project. We have the circuit design complete and working. I have purchased the surface mount components as well as the PCB for 25 initial units. We have assembled, tested and calibrated three units for testing purposes are currently in the testing process with two units for testing and a spare. After 1 week of diving we haven't seen any problems or had any failures in either of the two test units. It is a very reassuring feeling to look down at the housing or in the eyepiece and see the little green (I'm OK) led flashing.

Some updates on the unit. The size is 1" X 1.5" and about 3/8 inch thick including the battery. If you don't have that much room there ia a option for a remote battery that would cut the thickness in 1/2. We have the current units installed in a Ikelite housing for a Nikon D90 and a Sea&Sea housing for a Nikon D300.

We are still working out the installation procedures as well as the options and cost but re still on target for a complete setup to be in the range of $500 or less. All of the external fittings are stainless steel and the battery is a very readily available 2032 coin cell. The board has the options for two red (danger low vacuum) led's as well as two green (I'm OK, safe vacuum & dry) led's. The board also incorporates a moisture sensor that overrides the vacuum led's.

I don't see any reason that this system couldn't be incorporated in a video housing as well as a still camera housing. As stated earlier in this thread the design is proprietary and the PCB assembly is made of surface mount components so that will only be sold as a assembly. The blocking plug for the vacuum fitting is custom made but all the other parts (vacuum fitting, vacuum pump and inlet connector) are available over the counter. We hope to be able to start delivery of parts kits as well as preform turn key installs in August.

If you are interested or have questions please feel free to ask and I will try my best to get back to you.

End of test period update

After two weeks of testing in two different camera housings, we haven't had any sensor errors or problems. The sensor did catch one possible leakage problem during the test period that turned out to be a very small piece of lint on a o-ring.

In the Sea&Sea housing we would open the housing at the end of the day and allow it to be open over night, allowing the sensor to go into power-saving mode until the next morning at which time we would pull a vacuum before going to the dive site. That battery continued to work for over three weeks as it was not continually working. On this housing there is only one set of led's installed in that setup as that is a user option. The led’s are viewable from the top of the housing.

On my setup in a Ikelite housing our battery life was 10 days or about 240 hours of continuous usage. Each evening I would open the housing, install a fresh memory chip in the camera and a fresh camera battery and make any port and lens changes needed for the next day. I would then immediately pull a new vacuum on the housing and let it set blinking green until the next morning. I in my installation I have two red (warning) led's as well as two green (everything OK) led's installed. I have one pair of led's visible from the top of the housing and another pair visible in the viewfinder.

Again the battery we are using is a 2032 coin cell that cost less that $4.00.

I also would add that we are very pleased with the performance of the sensor and it was really a comforting feeling getting the housing out of the bags at the dive site and seeing the green led just blinking, knowing that the housing was sealed air tight.

I am working on pictures and details and hope to have them posted this week. we will be working on the first production run this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom