Is an inexpensive SMB worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am planning a trip to Cozumel this winter. From what we've been told, our divemaster will deploy an SMB while we do a safety stop, to alert the boat where to pick us up. It sounds like we don't need to have our own?

However, for drift diving, it seems like a decent piece of safety equipment. I was surprised to see they cost $60-$100, then you have to buy a reel.

There are others in the $20 range. Is there any value in carrying one of these? Or does that price signal that they are worthless? Since it sounds like the DM takes care of deployment, I don't think I'd take a line for it (especially since I'm not sure if I'd be able to practice deploying it), but it would be available if I needed it on the surface, if for some reason was separated from the group.

Just looking for some advice. We will definitely be bringing whistles, and likely mirrors. All our gear, except computers, will be rental, so I'm just assuming we'd have a D ring available to hook it onto, I don't know if there will be pockets.

I think anyone doing a drift dive anywhere, especially Cozumel, should carry a SMB. Yes, the DM will deploy one for you, which works great if you have managed to stay with the DM throughout the dive. That's not that hard, and it is unusual for someone to get separated, but it does happen. In that case, you will want that SMB.

If that is what you are using it for, you don't need a spool. You can inflate it after you reach the surface. A cheap one will work for that purpose. Using a spool is a little tricky, and you should practice it first before doing it for real in the open water.

In short, YES, get one. Preferably one with a metal clip, as opposed to a plastic clip. Get orange, not "green". A reel can wait, if need be. You never know when you might actually need, until you NEED ONE. Trust me, a recent event re-affirmed carrying one at all times.

I think all divers should know how to shoot a bag. It's a good skill to have.

If we are able to dive again before we go to Cozumel, and have some line, we might be able to practice. However, there isn't really diving around me, so it might just be the long drive to the quarry for my open water check out, and then the trip.

You are still in O/W? Could you ask your instructor to teach you how to shoot a bag? He might not be able to do it as part of O/W but he might be able to do it on one more dive *AFTER* completing O/W.

just finishing OW with first dives in COZ.....

Cozumel is the plan of about half the class- there isn't any diving here really.
Seems pretty common, and the op I go to in Cozumel will know we are beginners. Since they all offer OW classes, it can't be that unusual.
I had thought about doing referral dives in Cozumel, but everyone told me to get certified before I go, rather than getting certified there.

The surface SMB will be just fine- as you evolve with diving then look to up the task-loading with deployment underwater. For now the KISS principle should be first on your list. Enjoy your dives, relax, stay shallow and enjoy. There is plenty of room for more 'advanced' techniques of diving later when you put what you learnt during the OW course in to practice.

Again, get a cheaper SMB for now. You'll probably never need it but it's a great thing to have just in case.

Back
Top Bottom