Is a Wenoka mask and snorkel worth keeping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladerunner6

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Wenoka Sea Style Opti-Purge mask and a snorkel that is from kit I picked up about five years ago to go snorkeling on a cruise.

The mask is air tight when I inhale, so it does fit decently.

Are they worth keeping for diving or should I buy new gear.

I am certainly willing to spend money on basic dive gear-I want to enjoy the sport and not die, but if I have something useful I don't want to just randomly get rid of it.

Thanks for helping a noob. This is an awesome forum.

If it's tempered glass, fits well, and the skirt is still in good shape, it's fine for scuba. According to what I see elsewhere on the internet, it does have tempered glass. But to be sure, look for the word "tempered", or a small "T" somewhere on the lens itself.

If it's tempered glass, fits well, and the skirt is still in good shape, it's fine for scuba. According to what I see elsewhere on the internet, it does have tempered glass. But to be sure, look for the word "tempered", or a small "T" somewhere on the lens itself.
It definitely says tempered, no doubt about that.

As for testing the fit, do I inhale continuously or just briefly? It definitely stays on my face when I inhale continuously but not when I just inhale for a couple of moments and then stop. Thanks, I am a little unclear about the testing process. It has been five years since I have used the gear and I can't remember how well it performed.

Thanks for the guidance.

If you need to inhale continuously, there might be a leak. You should be able to inhale briefly (a "sniff") and as long as you do not exhale, even a tiny bit, the mask should remain in place.

But at best, the sniff test is an approximation. The best test is underwater. Even then most masks let a bit of water in for most of us, at least some of the time. That's one reason why open water classes have you clear your mask several times.

The sniff test can be improved a little by having a mouthpiece in place, since it changes the shape of your upper lip a bit. I also find it useful to look upwards and set the mask in place - so only the force of gravity pushes it against your face. Then I'm pretty confident it's a good fitting mask. If I have to push the mask on to get a seal, it typically leaks more while diving.

If you need to inhale continuously, there might be a leak. You should be able to inhale briefly (a "sniff") and as long as you do not exhale, even a tiny bit, the mask should remain in place.

But at best, the sniff test is an approximation. The best test is underwater. Even then most masks let a bit of water in for most of us, at least some of the time. That's one reason why open water classes have you clear your mask several times.

The sniff test can be improved a little by having a mouthpiece in place, since it changes the shape of your upper lip a bit. I also find it useful to look upwards and set the mask in place - so only the force of gravity pushes it against your face. Then I'm pretty confident it's a good fitting mask. If I have to push the mask on to get a seal, it typically leaks more while diving.

Thanks for the info. This gear does not look that promising. I will bring it to my open water dive and see how it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom