Is a VIS required if the valve is removed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is my understanding that a viz is not legally required at all.Ever.

Visual inspections are merely a Dive Industry requirement,they have no basis in law.

True as far as I can tell, however, just try explaining that to the snotnosed kid behind the counter.:wink:

It is my understanding that a viz is not legally required at all.Ever.

Visual inspections are merely a Dive Industry requirement,they have no basis in law.

Yes, utterly made up by the diving industry to foster profits in the name of safety! :D

However just TRY and get a tank filled with no vis. MAYBE if you have a buddy at a fire station. Our LDS has filled my tanks on out of date visuals, but I think they just missed it.

Couldn't you just make up your own VIS sticker and "VIS" your tank every day if you want?

Even if you VIP your own tank and bring it in empty to the aforementioned snot-nosed, pimple faced, tank monkey and he uses the "shop policy" BS you'll still have a problem getting it filled. See my previous post for a link to a thread to read some interesting ways to get around this.

Couv

I paid the shop a nominal labor fee to install the valve,

Thanks for the enlightenment.

They charged you to screw on a valve! :rofl3: Wow, now that is truly what I call customer service! :shocked2:

$24 covered their labor, an air fill, a new din cap.

$24 covered their labor, an air fill, a new din cap.

ThatŽ´s more than most places charge for a full VIP inspection.

The original questions seems simple but the real question is - required by whom? There is no legal requirement for a viz at all but a shop can impose any requirement they want for filling your tank. So the real answer you want is, is a visual typically required by shops after the valve has been removed? And the answer will vary by location and perhaps even who is working that day. Clearly you can see from the other posts that many shops will not impose this requirement on an educated diver who has a reasonable explanation why the tank is empty or has the valve removed. Just understand that at any time you may run into a shop that does not cooperate and your choices will be to either pay the inspection fee or go to another shop if thatŽ´s possible.

Air fill and din cap is maybe $10. That leaves $14 to screw in a valve. Yeah, I agree. You were robbed.

That price seems higher than the market demands in most places in the United States. I would not think that type of pricing would be good for business in the long run. However, this constant refrain of "you got robbed" doesn't hold water. You can't get "robbed" at a merchant when you are holding the credit card and he/she gives you a price. If you accept the price, volunteer the credit card, it is a little difficult to describe it in the same league with the real crime of "robbery". Anyway.

Oh, throwing around the phrase "you got robbed" is like calling employees of dive shops "tank monkeys". Simply put, it isn't polite.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom