Is a UW photographer a drag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gem1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new at diving (20) dives total. So far I have had boat dives in Jamaica and Cozumel. Each time I was the least experienced diver and I got the distinct feeling of being a visitor at some exclusive club function. My problem is I would also like to take pictures to show my non diving friends. I know this would slow me down in relation to other non-photographing divers.

Is it rude to do this to others on a dive boat? Should I say what the hey and do it anyway? Should I wait until I have additional dives under my belt? Cameras are just extra gear that can cause a SNAFU and be potentially hazardous to health.

What are some of the experiences of others?

I'm new at diving (20) dives total. So far I have had boat dives in Jamaica and Cozumel. Each time I was the least experienced diver and I got the distinct feeling of being a visitor at some exclusive club function.
Sorry to hear that. Divers are generally more friendly and helpful than the average person. However there is a minority of Dive Jerks out there. One type is the Dive Snob that has forgotten that he was new and nervous once. He rolls his eyes at anyone with gear problems, yet doesn't offer to help. Don't let them get you down, luckily there are not a lot of them.

That said, there are a few things that YOU can do. If you are slow, start gearing up earlier than others. Do not be afraid to tell your buddy or dive guide that you are still somewhat new and very receptive to any help or hints they may have. Be honest and don't worry about looking stupid.
Is it rude to do this to others on a dive boat? Should I say what the hey and do it anyway? Should I wait until I have additional dives under my belt? Cameras are just extra gear that can cause a SNAFU and be potentially hazardous to health.
I would not say going slow UW is rude. Pushing in the way of others to get a shot is.

You should probably wait another 30 dives to even try UW shooting though. You MUST have perfect buoyancy control before thinking of it. Damage to the reef because of photography is worse than rude!

Photography definitely adds a lot of task loading. So I would suggest that when you hit 50 dives, or when you are VERY comfortable and confident UW, then RENT an UW camera for a couple of dives to see if you like it. If you like it, then buy a digital camera.

BTW, if you ask nicely, most digital photographers will send you an image or two, or a link to an album (like Ofoto) where you could order prints from your dive.

GB

My $0.02...well for you it's free.

Plan the dive with your budy as a photo dive. Even if only one of you are taking pictures another person can be a big help in spotting shots and helping keep an eye on things your not while looking through a view finder. Which brings up a good point not only do you need good buoyancy control but you need good buoyancy control while doing something else (taking pictures).

Something to try...Next time you go diving bring a piece of string. As you dive, tie nots in the line. Try it while hovering very near the bottom, witout touching of course. Take your cammera into a pool to practice. In the pool you can bounce off the bottom without hurting anything. Some cammeras are heavy or buoyant and can effect trim. the pool is a good place to work out equipment and technique issues. You should have a way to clip off the cammera so you can use both hands for something else. I have seen more than one person having trouble because they refused to let go of their cammera. If you can't clip it off and you need two hands for something else...ditch the cammera.

GeeBee hit the most important things and I agree. Vacation divers can be the rudest, most inconsiderate of any you'll come across. Don't let them get to you, it's them who have the problem!

You'll need perfect bouyancy to keep from damaging the reef. When you can hover just inches off the bottom, touching nothing with yourself, fins or any part of your gear...When you know EXACTLY where your fin tips are at all times....When it is second nature to check your gauges regularly, not just when you consciously think of it...When you know and can work your gear by feel, not sight then you'll be ready to take pictures and not be a danger to the reef, to yourself, or to others.

After you start, remember the picture is your last concern. If you can't get that shot without damaging or touching something, skip it and try again. If others are looking at something, other photographers are taking their shots, just be patient and wait your turn. If the fish, or whatever, looks stressed, skip the shot...it's not worth it. Especially at night...think about it from the fish's standpoint!!!

There's no rules that says you can't dive without the camera! This is the hardest lesson to learn! And always be prepared to drop that camera in a heartbeat if the brown stuff hits the fan! That's when your tether comes in handy...:D

HTH

From experience, I can say that it can be a pain in the butt sometimes to be the non-photographer buddy. When I'm with a photographer and I'm not taking pics, I feel like I have more of the navigation responsibility or have to do more of watching where the group went. The up side is that being the buddy of a photographer, I've seen lots of stuff I'd otherwise have overlooked, worked on my bouyancy and I've practiced my navigation skills too. You don't have to have a unanimous ok from every diver on the boat, but your buddy has to be ok with you adding a camera to the dive.

Everyone has a different comfort level and only you can decide if you're ready to add a camera. I just started with UW photography. I've got 36 dives in about a year since my certification and I just did my AOW, which included a great 2 dive bouyancy clinic. I didn't feel comfortable with a camera until I felt that I had better mastered the bouyancy and navigation. My husband on the other hand, has been an avid out of water photographer for about 30 yrs and took a camera UW on his first resort course and almost all 100+ dives since then. He's now taken up UW video too. It really is wonderful to come home from a great dive vacation and have pictures and video to enjoy and share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom