Is a Utilus 10 a good compressor to fill a cascade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALAN243

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a chance to buy a Utilus for a SCREAMING deal it has 38 hrs on it has been well maintained, I just want to know if this is a continues duty machine and could be used to fill a small cascade system? I did a search but couldn't find anything

If you go by Bauers recommendations, then no. It is rated for intermittant duty and is not to be used for cascade filling. I am assuming you are talking about a U-10, as mentioned in your topic line, and not a Utilus, as mentioned in the text of you post. They are two different machines and although Bauer still doesn't recommend the Utilus for filling cascade bottles, it is rated for continuous duty.

Craig

i tried to upload a pic it would work on the compressor it says utilus 10 on it

A U-10 is a small portable unit. It has a grey, squarish fan cover, held in place by an aluminum rod on top that also serves as a lifting point. The belt cover is also grey and has 4 twist-loks that hold it in place. If you remove this cover, you will see that there is a hinge-plate that the driver (gas, electric or diesel) is mounted on. By simply removing the belt you can separate the unit into two pieces. Generally, the U-10 was equipped with a PO/Triplex filtration system. This same unit, with an electric driver, was also called a Purus in the 2 hp version.

Craig

I would call the U-10 an evolution of the Purus as the Purus was offered in both gas and electric versions from 2 to 3 HP. Early and 110V Purus units were rated at 2.8 CFM and most had a metal fan shroud, later ones like my 1978 unit were rated at 3.2 CFM, and the U-10 introduced in the early 1980's were rated at 3.4 CFM. Until the release of the U-10 the Utilus name was used on their much heavier (400+ pound) continuous duty small aprox. 3-6 CFM compressors.

here is a link to a picture or mine as it was when I bought it
http://www.beau.lib.la.us/~ikes/compressor/2e_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom