Is A Trip To Aqaba From The Usa Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thumbsplitter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So Jordan seems like an interesting alternative to Egypt, given the instability in the later. But is the diving in Aqaba worth the cost and effort to travel there from the USA for diving? How does it compare to other dive destinations, such as those in the Caribbean and South Pacific? I've seen some mixed indications in this forum. Thoughts?

Also, I've found a few liveaboards that leave from Eilat, but I haven't found much that leaves from Aqaba. Please let me know if you know of any, especially if they have a good reputation.

Thanks,

I dove Sharm last Fall and would not hesitate going back tomorrow. The diving was great and I never felt unsafe in and around the various markets. Things are still a bit tense in the wake of the Russian airliner crash, but life does go on.

From what I have heard from friends, the diving in Jordan is good, but lacks the diversity of the Sinai. On the other hand Jordan is considerably safer and has quite a bit to offer from a tourism perspective: Wadi Rum, Petra, Jerash, etc. It is easy go get around the country and English is widely spoken. But to your question: is it "worth the cost and effort to travel there from the USA for diving?" - that kind of depends on what you are looking for in the overall experience and I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you.

On a broader note, however, have you ever been on a Caribbean liveaboard? And where have you dove already and what type of diving do you like?

I dove Sharm last Fall and would not hesitate going back tomorrow. The diving was great and I never felt unsafe in and around the various markets. Things are still a bit tense in the wake of the Russian airliner crash, but life does go on.

From what I have heard from friends, the diving in Jordan is good, but lacks the diversity of the Sinai. On the other hand Jordan is considerably safer and has quite a bit to offer from a tourism perspective: Wadi Rum, Petra, Jerash, etc. It is easy go get around the country and English is widely spoken. But to your question: is it "worth the cost and effort to travel there from the USA for diving?" - that kind of depends on what you are looking for in the overall experience and I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you.

On a broader note, however, have you ever been on a Caribbean liveaboard? And where have you dove already and what type of diving do you like?

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that there is an ongoing debate about whether or not going to Egypt is a good idea with the current political and security issues. I'm thinking this over, but I don't want to discuss it here since it has been covered so much in other threads.

Your overall description of the diving in Jordan seems to match what I've seen elsewhere. My wife and I are very into biology, so we always enjoy seeing lots of different fish and animals, especially if they're ones that we haven't seen before. The fact that there are so many species that are endemic to the Red Sea is one of the big draws.

In answer to your question, I have done liveaboards (although not in the Caribbean) and really like the opportunity to get 4 or more dives in a day. Looks like the aqaba shops offer 3rd tank add-ons, which we would definitely take advantage of most days. I have been diving in Fiji, Australia, Utila, North Carolina, Southern California, and several places in the Caribbean. Again, interesting fish life is a big plus, but we also like interesting sites (e.g., wrecks, geology, etc)...

Hiya - later reply I know but still -

Aqaba diving is very beautiful, but not as impressive as the reefs in places like Sharm and further south in the Red Sea. Most of the diving is either from shore or daily boat trips; there's not a a lot of point operating a liveaboard in the area (it's not far from Eilat), unless it heads further south - it's a relatively small area to dive before you reach Saudi Arabia on the Eastern coast of the Gulf of Aqaba or Egpytian waters to the west. The resort is well appointed but not as tacky as Sharm (much as I love Sharm, it's become pretty tacky!), so it's quiet, no nightclubs, and a bit more pricey.

Most people I know who've been there love it - whether it's worth coming across from the States or not depends on what you're looking for. As I say, the reefs are beautiful and you have the wreck of the Cedar Pride which is an artificial reef rather than a dedicated wreck dive, but larger pelagics are very rare so you won't get a lot in the way of sharks and manta and so on.

Some people combine trips to Aqaba/Jordan with a visit to Eilat/Israel - obviously a lot of history in the region and very easy travel between locations.

Hope that helps a little bit

C.

Hiya - later reply I know but still -

Aqaba diving is very beautiful, but not as impressive as the reefs in places like Sharm and further south in the Red Sea. Most of the diving is either from shore or daily boat trips; there's not a a lot of point operating a liveaboard in the area (it's not far from Eilat), unless it heads further south - it's a relatively small area to dive before you reach Saudi Arabia on the Eastern coast of the Gulf of Aqaba or Egpytian waters to the west. The resort is well appointed but not as tacky as Sharm (much as I love Sharm, it's become pretty tacky!), so it's quiet, no nightclubs, and a bit more pricey.

Most people I know who've been there love it - whether it's worth coming across from the States or not depends on what you're looking for. As I say, the reefs are beautiful and you have the wreck of the Cedar Pride which is an artificial reef rather than a dedicated wreck dive, but larger pelagics are very rare so you won't get a lot in the way of sharks and manta and so on.

Some people combine trips to Aqaba/Jordan with a visit to Eilat/Israel - obviously a lot of history in the region and very easy travel between locations.

Hope that helps a little bit

C.
As a short time visitor from Singapore, my wife and I will visit Aqaba for three days of diving in June. What sites do you suggest we visit during out short foray in Jordan. thanks, cmr

I think the Cedar Pride is a top favourite - more as an artificial reef than a wreck - and the Tank just for its sheer oddity. Power Station is supposed to be quite spectacular, and Japanese Garden and Eel Canyon are spoken of very highly. I'm not really an Aqaba expert; most of what I know is based on the experience of a good friend who worked there. I found this nice link - I don't know the dive centre at all but they have some good dive site descriptions:

Dive sites

Cheers

C.

C - thanks for the suggestions. My wife and I wanted to travel to southernmost Egypt, but the air connections between Istanbul, Israel, etc were not very good. Plus, as a scientist and DM in SE Asia, we frequently visit beautiful and remote dive site in eastern Indonesia, so it really has to be worth it for us to travel far-field. best, charlie

I have dived Aqaba a few times and one thing it seems is usually has is amazing visibility, 30M is common, however not a lot in the way of big fish.

Shore diving is possible, however there are boats too, which obviously make life easier, but this depends on the coast guard releasing the boats once they they have the names of all of those traveling on the boat, delays can be expected.

If I had to return again I would look at shore diving for some days and boat diving for other days such as Cedar Pride.

The M42 Dustbuster is shallow, and perhaps best done as a shore dive, there is a nice reef nearby

Three days is too short though, but perhaps reason to return again, but it cannot be compared to the southern areas of the Red Sea.

Thanks for the suggestions. With three days of diving and one day at Petra, I think that we will have a wonderful time. It will be fun to dive with my wife without the responsibility leading a large group as a DM for a multi-day trip.

Has anyone taken the day trip from Aqaba to Pharaoh's Island off the coast of Egypt? I've found some references to it in travel guides, but there doesn't seem to be anything on SB. Sounds like it is a popular snorkeling and diving location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom