Is a minimum deco style profile possible while DMing in a resort location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am wondering if it would be practical for someone to work as a Dive Master in a resort location without using a computer. Profiles such as those taught by GUE are great when you are with divers of a similar mind but when leading other divers unfamiliar with them it seems like there might be logistical concerns.

Standard tables are made for the types of profiles that you would more likely be doing, but it seems to me that if used "correctly" they would be way too conservative to allow the type of diving often required by a DM.

The minimum deco profiles as taught by GUE seem like you will end up with other divers surfacing far before the DM, seems like this could be troublesome in many ways.

I would love to hear from people who have worked as DMs, as well as anyone else who has thoughts on the matter. I have been thinking a lot about the next few years of my life, and was just wondering if my grand plans of finding a job as a DM in paradise were going to require me to start diving with a computer instead of(in addition to?) my trusty Bottom Timer.

~Jess

I'm looking at the other end of the question . . . I'm about to go spend two weeks at dive resorts, diving with non-DIR people and non-DIR divemasters. I will want to do minimum deco -- no 15 foot safety stops -- and I'm wondering how that will go over, since my understanding is that we will be diving in small groups (4 to a DM) and very close to the DM (since they can spot the interesting, camouflaged critters).

It seems to me that, if you just told your group that they were going to do stops, that's what they'd do; the problem would be more whether they could do it, than whether they would. But I might be wrong. I found the minumum deco logic quite persuasive when it was taught to me.

Lynne,
Why min deco when you are with non DIR people? Why not do 15 foot stops? 3 at 15 is ok and then real slow ascent to surface.

Just curious - can I presume it's because you want to remain consistent in your ascent strategy?

I do min deco because I think it's a better way to manage an ascent.

I don't follow what GUE taught me because they taught it to me. I do it because it makes sense.

Jess - I've wondered about the ability to DM and maintain DIR protocol ... wish I knew how to juggle those two - let us know what you decide to do and how it works out ... you might be the first fish in the pond to attempt it there :wink:

Lynne - Would it work to just let the DM know that you and Peter will be doing a non-standard ascent profile. Then during the ascent let the rest of the group go on their merry way to the top while you slow down a bit.

Aloha, Tim

TSandM:
I'm looking at the other end of the question . . . I'm about to go spend two weeks at dive resorts, diving with non-DIR people and non-DIR divemasters. I will want to do minimum deco -- no 15 foot safety stops -- and I'm wondering how that will go over, since my understanding is that we will be diving in small groups (4 to a DM) and very close to the DM (since they can spot the interesting, camouflaged critters).

It seems to me that, if you just told your group that they were going to do stops, that's what they'd do; the problem would be more whether they could do it, than whether they would. But I might be wrong. I found the minumum deco logic quite persuasive when it was taught to me.

I think it depends on the resort you're at. Diving in the tropical pacific, for instance, most of the reefs seem to continue up to very shallow depths. The groups naturally ascend slowly up the reef and it is easy to shape your profile, though you will probably be hanging alone at your ten foot stop. Non-DIR divers seem to naturally end their dive following a 15 foot stop.

Shouldn't be a problem. I was diving with a live-aboard herd in Palau last year. I wasn't surfacing any sooner or later than most of the divers. My ascents tended to start earlier and be much slower than theirs, though... The divers who asked about and chose to imitate my ascent style were quite amazed at how much better they felt... both after a dive and especially at the end of a five dive day :D

JessH:
Standard tables are made for the types of profiles that you would more likely be doing, but it seems to me that if used "correctly" they would be way too conservative to allow the type of diving often required by a DM.

Really? How?

The minimum deco profiles as taught by GUE seem like you will end up with other divers surfacing far before the DM, seems like this could be troublesome in many ways.

It's a bad idea when you're supervising other divers to incur any kind of deco obligation at any point during the dive. It severely limits your options when something happens.

I think the idea behind minimum deco also assumes good control over your profile. Easy enough if it's just you and a buddy but you'll find in DM-ing that you fairly regularly make profiles you're not happy with because things happen and as the DM it's on you to respond. Remember, people aren't hiring a DM for nothing, you will be responsible for a lot of inexperienced divers and some real clowns....

I think that applying mimimum deco will put you in a couple of these kinds of compromises that will eventually bite you. You can still apply the same concepts with a computer on your wrist (I know it's the DIR forum but we're talking about DM-ing) and in so doing you'll have more information to help you if your dive gets pear shaped.

R..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom