Is a Meg 2.7 still worth buying in 2022?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 2.7 is still a good unit and tried and true after all these years. but $3800 IMO is a bit high for what it is. Id shoot closer to 2-3.2k

What shearwater is it? the predator or the petrel.

It has a color petrel shearwater.

Last year I retired my meg 2.0 (built 2001) it had never been upgraded or changed from original configuration. The reason I bought a tiburon was because my venerable old meg was mis-handled by an airline's baggage handler. It appears to have fallen off the cart and was dragged across the tarmac judging by the state of the case it was in. Anyway it was beyond repair but if this incident hadn't happened I would still be diving a meg 2.0.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect rebreather. Every rebreather has trade-offs somewhere.

As a corollary I'm a firm believer that a brand new rebreather diver probably does not know enough about CCR's to understand what features they care about and what features they don't. Ability to de-water a unit may not be a concern for you, but weight might be. Or backmount counterlungs might be a requirement for you vs chestmount lungs.

As such, I think anytime you can get a fully functional unit that's ready to dive and at a "fair" price, that might be a good starter platform. For my first rebreather I bought a 10 year old KISS Classic for $3500, dove the piss out of it for two years, and sold it for $3200.

Is a fully functional meg ready to dive w/3L cylinders and a Predator or Petrel worth $3800? Yeah, I think that's probably a fair price.

Grab it, put a couple hundred hours on it, learn more about what is important to you regarding rebreathers, and go from there. You might find it does everything you need/want, I've got a couple of friends diving old 2.x series megs and doing some *AMAZING* dives on them.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect rebreather. Every rebreather has trade-offs somewhere.

As a corollary I'm a firm believer that a brand new rebreather diver probably does not know enough about CCR's to understand what features they care about and what features they don't. Ability to de-water a unit may not be a concern for you, but weight might be. Or backmount counterlungs might be a requirement for you vs chestmount lungs.

As such, I think anytime you can get a fully functional unit that's ready to dive and at a "fair" price, that might be a good starter platform. For my first rebreather I bought a 10 year old KISS Classic for $3500, dove the piss out of it for two years, and sold it for $3200.

Is a fully functional meg ready to dive w/3L cylinders and a Predator or Petrel worth $3800? Yeah, I think that's probably a fair price.

Grab it, put a couple hundred hours on it, learn more about what is important to you regarding rebreathers, and go from there. You might find it does everything you need/want, I've got a couple of friends diving old 2.x series megs and doing some *AMAZING* dives on them.

I share this sentiment 100%. I don't dive a Meg but know quite a few divers who are happy with their 2.7 Megs. For $3800 has to be in the top shape. Would get one myself.

I purchased my 2.7 about two years ago for about $4,300. Granted it did come with a bunch of extra parts.

After sensors, new hoses, having a tech go through the unit, I landed at about $5,500.

I’m extremely happy with my Meg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom