Is a hose upgrade worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

centraal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings all,
I recently purchased an Atomic B2 on sale and would like to replace the stock hose with a longer one, intending to donate my primary in an emergency. I lose the much-debated comfort swivel this way, but such is life.
My question, for those that have tried them: is it worth the extra money to purchase the Dive Gear Express double-braided flex hose or a Miflex2 hose, instead of a regular rubber one? Thanks.

they should be around the same cost, but you can also get a stock atomic hose with the swivel in most hose lengths.... I have a love hate relationship with the braided hoses but they are quite nice

I've replaced every hose except that one. There are few swivels that come close to the comfort of the Atomics one. I have a longer braided hose on a S600 that I use for cold water diving.

they should be around the same cost, but you can also get a stock atomic hose with the swivel in most hose lengths.... I have a love hate relationship with the braided hoses but they are quite nice

DRIS quoted me $109 on another Atomic hose w/ the swivel. Seems like a heck of a lot for a hose. That said, I haven't had the chance to dive it yet, so don't have any sense yet of whether I like the swivel that much better. I'm keeping my options open at this point.

I'm not a fan of braided hoses.

I don't like them on a long hose that goes around your neck as if you ever dive without a hood it will eat into your skin and leave it quite raw after a couple days.

They also don't do nice things to dry suit hoods either, particularly after some strands break and the hose starts growing thorns.

In side mount they are not all that clean for configuration purposes as they are very torsionally rigid and don't usually lay flat along the tank.

The only advantage I they are a little lighter and lower volume for travel purposes.

If you are going with a 5 or 7 foot hose you will find a swivel is not necessary on the primary. Some people like them on the bungeed back up, I prefer a fixed 70 degree elbow for the simplicity.

I'm not a fan of braided hoses.

I don't like them on a long hose that goes around your neck as if you ever dive without a hood it will eat into your skin and leave it quite raw after a couple days.

They also don't do nice things to dry suit hoods either, particularly after some strands break and the hose starts growing thorns.

In side mount they are not all that clean for configuration purposes as they are very torsionally rigid and don't usually lay flat along the tank.

The only advantage I they are a little lighter and lower volume for travel purposes.

This is my current stance. I won't use them on my 7 and 9' hoses, but do not actually use them on any others either. I have found that with ball swivels and/or angle adapters, you don't need the flexibility provided by the braided hoses and I don't like my neck getting abraded without a hood on, or my neck seals getting chewed up. If I were to start using them, it would only be on my inflator hoses...

This is my current stance. I won't use them on my 7 and 9' hoses, but do not actually use them on any others either. I have found that with ball swivels and/or angle adapters, you don't need the flexibility provided by the braided hoses and I don't like my neck getting abraded without a hood on, or my neck seals getting chewed up. If I were to start using them, it would only be on my inflator hoses...

I'm not a fan of the braided long hoses, either, for all the reasons mentioned above. I will add that they float strangely when deployed, and I don't really like that.

I also agree with what PaloPinto said - when dealing with a long hose, you won't really miss the swivel. I really like 70 /110 degree swivel elbow in any other circumstance I feel a swivel is needed, and have never felt cheated by not having an omnidirectional swivel. These elbow swivels work great on a short hose, though, or on sidemount regs. Oh...and they can be found cheap!

I too don't like braided hoses for either the primary or secondary reg. it really does chafe the neck unpleasantly. I use one occasionally only for my SPG. Personally have never felt a need for a swivel with a long hose.

is it worth the extra money to purchase the Dive Gear Express double-braided flex hose or a Miflex2 hose, instead of a regular rubber one? Thanks.
I will echo what several have said. I don't care for braided hoses on the long hose, both because of their 'abrasiveness' and their 'floatiness'. And, I dive with a number of people who also tried braided long hoses and went back to rubber.As an aside I have never seen a need for a swivel, or angle adapter on a long hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom