Is a digital compass any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

houe

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard some people don't really like the digital compasses. What is your opinion? Do they update at a quick enough rate to not be frustrating? Accuracy? Opinions?

I've heard some people don't really like the digital compasses. What is your opinion? Do they update at a quick enough rate to not be frustrating? Accuracy? Opinions?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how do you do a reciprocal heading with a digital compass?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but how do you do a reciprocal heading with a digital compass?

Bookmarks

The Scubapro Galileo Sol, Luna & Terra have an excellent digital compass; easy to use, accurate & precise.

As far as reciprocal heading, there are two marks. You reset your direction, then go back to where you started.

The " Cool " part is when you downlod your dives, it shows all the headings.

We use it in training all our students - OW to Instructor - we can see exactly how they preformed.

These compasses are so good expedition cave explorers are using them to map cave systems!

Yes, they update the heading very quickly.

Digital Compasses in caves? That seems a stretch. Maybe someone can chime in but I did find this:

Cave Diving: Dive 366 – Cenote Minotauro — Quiet Diver

This dive I decided to practice taking notes and doing a rough stick map of the cave. Wetnotes and digital compass in hand, I set to work. It ends up, I am a terrible judge of scale and it is easy to get lazy. Looking at the map, I should have really started much smaller and skipped the whole compass bit. I ended up going off the page and having to come back on the other side. I remember doing this as a little kid when I drew mazes. I think a first pass at a simpler stick map would have been sufficient. Or maybe just an accurate log of the line directional tendency, jumps and T’s.

The wetnotes and digital compass suck together. The compass is part of my Sunnto D6. To take a heading, I have to hold the button down and wait for it to switch modes. Then after short period it switches back to computer mode. There is no quick way to record the information I want. Every time I have to stop and wait for the equipment. I really makes taking detailed notes no fun. So between the wetnotes and the Sunnto, my work was much harder then it needed to be. I think I am going to give it another try with a standard compass and a slate.

Hardly seems a glowing review to me.

Hardly seems a glowing review to me.
I posted about the Scubapro Galileo digital compasses!

Interesting

I can't get the digital compass to calibrate so needles to say I don't use it much.

The Scubapro Galileo Sol, Luna & Terra have an excellent digital compass; easy to use, accurate & precise.

As far as reciprocal heading, there are two marks. You reset your direction, then go back to where you started.

The " Cool " part is when you downlod your dives, it shows all the headings.

We use it in training all our students - OW to Instructor - we can see exactly how they preformed.

These compasses are so good expedition cave explorers are using them to map cave systems!

Yes, they update the heading very quickly.

Good expedition cave explores use sidescan sonar!! Nice sales pitch thou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom