Is a Backplate/Wing dangerous for Cozumel type walls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Due to the fact that most or all of your weight is non-ditchable, is a backplate/wing OK for diving in a location where you might encounter down currents?

As has been discussed on several threads such vertical currents are usually pretty localized events, and moving out, away from the wall should remove you from it's grasp.

Just how many folks who have had trouble in the down currents have been diving with BP/W? Are you not just trying to provide an unneeded solution in search of an problem, when there are other options available to the diver than simply ditching their weights at depth, which all by itself can create some pretty serious issues with rapid ascent from depth?

Due to the fact that most or all of your weight is non-ditchable, is a backplate/wing OK for diving in a location where you might encounter down currents?

That may or may not be true...

Scuba diving is dangerous. Ditching a large amount of weight at depth is dangerous - just not as dangerous as drowning. I do not expect to ever ditch my weight at depth to handle any single problem. Simultaneous multiple problems may be a different story, but still extremely unlikely. Weight ditching is something that should be planned to accomplish on the surface to achieve maximum buoyancy.

BTW, my tropical BP is the Oxycheq UL plate with essentially zero negative buoyancy. I do add 4 lb to the cam straps when used with aluminum tanks leaving me with very little ditchable weight (0 to 3 pounds depending on regulator and conditions). I guess, if I thought ditchable weight was important, I could add unnecessary neoprene, a floaty BCD, or just add excess weight like some seem to do.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: equipment should not be used to solve a skill problem. If you don't know how to handle a down current anyway other than ditching gear, or you don't know how to build a balanced rig, you probably should not be diving in a location with down currents in a bp/w.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: equipment should not be used to solve a skill problem. If you don't know how to handle a down current anyway other than ditching gear, or you don't know how to build a balanced rig, you probably should not be diving in a location with down currents in a bp/w.

Perfect answer.

No ... and yes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ditching weight shouldn't be the only way for divers to reach the surface if they need to. Divers should rely on skill and redundant buoyancy or lift if needed.

Diving a Backplate and Wing is merely another BCD, just not a jacket BCD.

Me, when I travel, use an aluminum plate which I need to wear an additional weight belt.

Unlike when I'm home where I dive a steel plate and steel tanks, and no additional weight... Or when I'm working and wear a steel plate, double steel tanks, and a weight belt with like 15 Lbs.

You're assuming all backplate user's load their plate with unditchable weight. Some of us still prefer to keep the majority of our weight off the plate. Makes carrying it easier. And on the plus side, the boat crew will feel less inclined to drag your BC across the deck. :wink:

The issue of escaping a down current has already been discussed many times as scubaboard's latest fad. Generally swimming away from the wall or perpendicular to the down current will get you out of it.

I'm with AJ. Not everybody is wearing a 3 mil shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom