Is 85 too warm for Fusion DS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hobodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the reason I bought the Fusion was that I could use it in a wide variety of water temperatures. But I'm wondering if 85 degrees isn't too warm. If not, what undergarment would you use? Mk 0? Fourth Element drybase? UA? Something else?

I dove in 75 degree water with 4th Element dry base and a layer of Polarfleece sweats from Land's End, and I was happy as a clam, but I also wore a hood. I think in 85, I'd just use the dry base, no hood, and no gloves, and probably be wonderfully comfortable.

I use a set of Patagonia "Capilene 3" with my DUI 30/30 in 85 deg water in Truk and was perfectly comfortable.

In 85 degree water I would typically use Hot Chilly's thermals and a pair of Patagonia Capilene 1 that I have. No hood. No glove.

Personally, unless the dive were really long or I needed the redundant inflation traits of a dry suit, I'd pass and wear a 3mm or even a 3mm shorty. If it is hot out getting overheated is a potential issue and if the dive is hard working the same issue may arise. A 3mm wet suit allows more flexibilty in thermal control at the upper end of the warm water temperature scale.

You gotta take it easy in 85° water. That's pretty much the temperature of the Red Sea - guys working there or on ops have to really watch for hyperthermia since you can't vent off excess body heat fast enough when you're exerting yourself.

You gotta take it easy in 85Ž° water. That's pretty much the temperature of the Red Sea...

Hmmm...not the Red Sea I was in two weeks ago, where temps averaged 72-74!

:D

One of the reason I bought the Fusion was that I could use it in a wide variety of water temperatures. But I'm wondering if 85 degrees isn't too warm. If not, what undergarment would you use? Mk 0? Fourth Element drybase? UA? Something else?

It would be for me. I can't imagine diving a drysuit (of any kind) in that nice warm water.

Normal skin temperature is about 91 degrees. That gives you only a 6 degree differential to allow your body to cool in 85 degree water. In contrast a regulation olympic swimming pool must be kept between 77 and 82.4°, while most recreational pools are normally kept between 82 and 84 degrees.

85 degree water in the short term could cause you to overheat even with no exposure protection if you are exerting yourself and generating lots of heat. Add the insulation of a dry suit even with minimal undergarments and the overheating that may occur gearing up on a 100 degree boat deck even before you enter the water and things could get interesting in a hurry.

Over the long term, with little exertion 85 degree water could cause hypothermia, but we are talking about exposure times well in excess of even a very long technical decompression dive.

Again, I'd ask myself why I need a dry suit in 85 degree water and I'd opt for much lesser degree of protection that I could also unzip if it is too warm. a 3mm one piece, a 3mm shorty, a 1mm one piece and a dive skin are all options I'd consider before I used a dry suit in 85 degree water.

You gotta take it easy in 85Ž° water. That's pretty much the temperature of the Red Sea - guys working there or on ops have to really watch for hyperthermia since you can't vent off excess body heat fast enough when you're exerting yourself.
Hmmm...not the Red Sea I was in two weeks ago, where temps averaged 72-74!:D
Yeow! I meant the Persian Gulf. I guess I had Hurghada fever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom