Ipratroprium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am doing my computer learning for the nitrox course and I find out that Sudafed is a no no because it increases the risk of CNS problems when using nitrox. My question is is there any problem with using ipratroprium bromide spray for scuba with nitrox?

I am doing my computer learning for the nitrox course and I find out that Sudafed is a no no because it increases the risk of CNS problems when using nitrox. My question is is there any problem with using ipratroprium bromide spray for scuba with nitrox?
Why are you using it?

Why are you using it?
It is to keep my nose and sinus clear as I have allergies. I also take other stuff (don't tell me to see an allergist as I have had 8 allergists in my life and have been on allergy shots since 1966 and have taken every antihistamine ever invented.) If I think I am going to have a problem, then the ipratroprium really does the trick sometimes.

It is to keep my nose and sinus clear as I have allergies. I also take other stuff (don't tell me to see an allergist as I have had 8 allergists in my life and have been on allergy shots since 1966 and have taken every antihistamine ever invented.) If I think I am going to have a problem, then the ipratroprium really does the trick sometimes.
My only concern would be contraindications for diving, since it is a bronchodilator.

Not a doctor, not going to pretend to be one, but am prone to congestion from a combination of flying/allergies/air quality. For me, the difference between a good dive trip and a bad one is going in with clear sinuses.

Not sure if you've looked into either, but for me, long term use of generic flonase (fluticasone priprionate) every evening in the weeks leading up to a dive trip and during, and short term use of generic afrin (oxymetazoline hcl) the mornings of dives up to three days in a row really makes a difference, much easier equalization, and much less congestion after the dive and no mild barotrauma. I take the fourth day off usually, let the afrin blowback run its course with a 1-2 day SI (Beer and tequila day!) And then can do 3 more days of clean diving.

Near as I can tell, both are relatively safe and not as big of a risk of wearing out on a dive causing a reverse block as oral decongestants like psuedoephedrine.

Not a doctor, not going to pretend to be one, but am prone to congestion from a combination of flying/allergies/air quality. For me, the difference between a good dive trip and a bad one is going in with clear sinuses.

Not sure if you've looked into either, but for me, long term use of generic flonase (fluticasone priprionate) every evening in the weeks leading up to a dive trip and during, and short term use of generic afrin (oxymetazoline hcl) the mornings of dives up to three days in a row really makes a difference, much easier equalization, and much less congestion after the dive and no mild barotrauma. I take the fourth day off usually, let the afrin blowback run its course with a 1-2 day SI (Beer and tequila day!) And then can do 3 more days of clean diving.

Near as I can tell, both are relatively safe and not as big of a risk of wearing out on a dive causing a reverse block as oral decongestants like psuedoephedrine.
Psuedoephedrine causes reverse blocks? I have had the opposite experience. Only been diving with it for 39 years though.

Have you tried a steroid (budesonide) infused saline nasal rinse? I use this to control polyps and always go on it a few weeks before a dive trip and during the trip. If I have to resort to Afrin (last resort), it significantly delays rebound.

BTW, the whole Sudafed CNS tox thing is a bit overblown for recreational nitrox use since the association has only been tested in rats breathing 100% at 5 ATA in doses 100-320 mg. The normal single human dose is 30-60 mg (~.75mg/kg for a 80 kg person). The relevant finding from the 2013 Pilla Neurosciance study is "...no significant differences in LS (latency time to seizure) from control value were observed at doses ≤80 mg/kg... Extrapolating our findings to humans, we conclude that the recommended daily dose of PSE should not be abused prior to diving with oxygen-enriched gas mixes or pure O₂".

Breathing 100% at 5 ATA (Table 6 puts you on 100% at 2.82 ATA) is going to have you breakdancing pretty quickly anyway so this whole thing is kind of a tempest in a teapot at the kind of exposures you're likely to encounter.

Are you talking about the nasal spray?

Best regards,
DDM

Psuedoephedrine causes reverse blocks? I have had the opposite experience. Only been diving with it for 39 years though.
Indirectly. The concern is that an oral decongestant with a 4-6 window of effectiveness could clear you up for for ease of equalization on descent, but by the end of the dive loses some effectiveness, mucus builds up in your sinuses and inhibits the release of pressurized gas from the eustachian tubes on ascent.

I've successfully used oral decongestants as well, but now I'm to the point where if I'm coming off a semi-recent cold, I just don't dive to be safe, and only use nasal sprays with a longer effective window to combat any nasal/sinus buildup from allergens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom