IPod or IPod photo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roz Amos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am looking at buying an Ipod, and am dithering between the regular 40GB IPod and the 40GB Ipod Photo. Am keen to use whichever one I buy to download stuff from my digital camera, to save taking a laptop on liveaboards or overseas trips, or buying multiple memory cards. There is quite a price difference between the two, and am wondering if the photo one gives you that much extra bang for your buck. Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has either model, in particular

1) if I get a regular IPod, will I be able to use my standard media card reader or will I need a special IPod one?

2) What is the quality of the colour screen on the photo Ipod?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Roz

Here is a link that may be helpful. It seem like some people are complaining about the slow upload speed. Hope this helps
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9184LL/A#reviewsanchor

Roz Amos:
Am looking at buying an Ipod, and am dithering between the regular 40GB IPod and the 40GB Ipod Photo. Am keen to use whichever one I buy to download stuff from my digital camera, to save taking a laptop on liveaboards or overseas trips, or buying multiple memory cards. There is quite a price difference between the two, and am wondering if the photo one gives you that much extra bang for your buck. Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has either model, in particular

1) if I get a regular IPod, will I be able to use my standard media card reader or will I need a special IPod one?

2) What is the quality of the colour screen on the photo Ipod?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Roz

Yeah, from what I've heard from friends who own them, you might want to consider getting a non-apple media player. More functionality for a lower cost seems not to be unusual.

I recently went through the exact same decision process.

iPod Photo is a bit bigger (negligible unless you're really crammed for space). For this size you get longer battery life plus the screen. The iPod photo is $100 for the same 40G disk space.

iPod photo will not display downloaded photos from your camera, regardless of format. Either unit will store photos-- and in fact files-- of any format. iPod Photo only views photos put into it using iPhoto on your computer. Therefore, it's handy for carrying around pictures of your kids (or your previous dive trip), but not for viewing the photos you just took. There are other media readers that are designed to do this, so if that's a priority select one of them. However, they're dedicated photo storage devices, and I figure I'll get more use out of the device as an MP3 player first and a photo storage device second. You should view the iPod, photo or regular, purely as a portable hard disk with a limited but functional interface.

One thing I've noticed if the iPod 'disk mode' is turned on, then it can be plugged into any computer of the same platform (unfortunately no Windows to Mac compatibility) to have the files accessed. This means that during your trip you could find a computer store to download your photos and burn them to CD, print them, etc if you so desire. Incidentally, you can't access the music files put in the iPod through iTunes this way, a security feature Apple built in to prevent music piracy.

I ended up purchasing the 40 gig iPod and a Belkin media card reader. The extra $100 to view pre-loaded photos isn't worth it to me. It downloads compact flash cards easily-- worked perfectly the first time. So far, the download speed seems about the same as plugging the camera in directly using the USB 1.0 cable, so it's not blazing but it's serviceable. Carry two CF cards so you can be shooting one while downloading the other. I've heard complaints about battery life, but haven't used it enough to experience that yet. Guess I'll have to carry some extra batteries around, just in case. :wink:

Hope that helps.

Charlie

Might want the check out Flashtrax. Have used one for awhile now, no problems with raw. I just have a 20gig and have not come close to filling it up on 7-14day trips, 4 dives per day and always have the camera. The screen is good enough to edit out poorly composed shots.

Those are great comments, thanks guys. The photo storage thing is kind of a secondary bonus to me - have just fallen into major consumer love the the Ipod! Think I will stick with the regular Ipod, and do the photo sorting thing once I get home from a trip.

Roz

They just came out with new iPods today.

You can still get the 4g 20gb iPod for $299 but they have gotten rid of the 40gb version.

They have also introduced a new 30gb iPod photo for $349. For $50 more than the 20gb that's a good deal. They also dropped the price on the 60gb iPod photo to $449.

Also, Apple is going to come out with their own transfer dongle to take photos from a digital camera and put them on the iPod photo. I am going to make the leap and assume that you probably will be able to view those files directly without going through iTunes first.

More info...

Charlie, very good info on the fact you "Can't view the downloaded (from camera to ipod) in the viewer...

I was thinking, now that's pretty kewl. Just download and you can take it to the bar and view them... NOT!!.. thanx, that just saved me from thinking any more about it...

off hand, in your search, have you found something that will show the photos on a storage device??? other than a laptop...
Just wondering, I seem them for videos for $500+ but was looking for a simple 40gig storage with a decent viewer on it...

thanx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom