IP creep-when to repair and when to ignore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

your right of course they do , but then again you have actually been in the business for awhile now and would know that .......

I have to point out that since some manufacturers actually specify an allowable range of drift or creep, that indication of a fault or defect is NOT always the case when it exists, as long as it locks up within spec.

Jack/ABN...

I serviced 15 sets of shop rental regs each year for seven years...there was ''0'' creep detected during pre-service IP check...and ''0'' creep detected during post service IP check...and logging of service information...

Allowing 5% on a first stage with a spec IP of 10.5 BAR/152 PSI...is to allow 7.6 points of ''creep''...

I would be very dis-satisfied with my work if the pre-service IP check showed ''0'' creep and my post service IP check showed 5% creep...

My shop supervisor...may he forever rest in peace would not have accepted this...

In my opinion...if it's not locking up where it should...and it's creeping over 7.5 points...it's leaking...

My regulators would not creep 7.5 points...I wouldn't dive with them if they did...nor would I dive with anyone elses that did...I check IP prior to each use...I'm on my own time and I have lots of it...it's a simple pre-check...

On our Drager 1st stages...5% creep would be 12.5 points...to me that would be totally unacceptable...

Just me...

Best...

Warren

Jack/ABN...

I serviced 15 sets of shop rental regs each year for seven years...there was ''0'' creep detected during pre-service IP check...and ''0'' creep detected during post service IP check...and logging of service information...

Allowing 5% on a first stage with a spec IP of 10.5 BAR/152 PSI...is to allow 7.6 points of ''creep''...

I would be very dis-satisfied with my work if the pre-service IP check showed ''0'' creep and my post service IP check showed 5% creep...

My shop supervisor...may he forever rest in peace would not have accepted this...

In my opinion...if it's not locking up where it should...and it's creeping over 7.5 points...it's leaking...

My regulators would not creep 7.5 points...I wouldn't dive with them if they did...nor would I dive with anyone elses that did...I check IP prior to each use...I'm on my own time and I have lots of it...it's a simple pre-check...

On our Drager 1st stages...5% creep would be 12.5 points...to me that would be totally unacceptable...

Just me...

Best...

Warren

Warren,

What are you talking about?

The OP mentioned a 5 PSI creep to 145 and then a lock. The 5 PSI creep is 3.5 %.

What are points? You are using terms which have no meaning.

The OP never mentioned what was going on with the regulator pre-rebuild, but I agree I would be disappointed also if the performance was worse after the rebuild.

As tbone mentioned is a previous post the regulator may need more cycling.

working on 1-3 types of regs might not expose you to "other "manufactures data but there ARE other regs that do allow a certain amount of creep (set in writing in the repair manual ) lock up in spec is what you are looking for , and what I teach in repairing regs

working on 1-3 types of regs might not expose you to "other "manufactures data but there ARE other regs that do allow a certain amount of creep (set in writing in the repair manual ) lock up in spec is what you are looking for , and what I teach in repairing regs

Warren,

The OP mentioned a 5 PSI creep to 145 and then a lock. The 5 PSI creep is 3.5 %.

The OP never mentioned what was going on with the regulator pre-rebuild, but I agree I would be disappointed also if the performance was worse after the rebuild.

AMS...ABN...

I still maintain...

In a regulator with an IP of 152...5 PSI is a variance of five above or five below...that's a lot of '''creep''...and cycling a fresh service may or may not correct this...

The manufacturers put these ''allowable variance'' disclaimers in their service documents...to allow for slight manufacturing/assembly deficiencies (defects)...so that no after sales deficiency correction warranty claim work has to be performed...the blanket they cover this off with is...''within spec''...

I certainly don't claim to have serviced anywhere near the number of reg sets that some of you have...but I've serviced a good number...and from most of the manufacturers...and following my service work...they all locked up where they should...with ''O'' creep...

The shop where I worked had lots of novices...but also a good number of very proficient divers...''who checked things''...and they would not have been shy about advising me if my finished work was allowing a 5 PSI variance...

The guy who trained me...back in the day...was TDI Canada...he was one of the best...he and his wife are still mentioned in a few of the current TDI training manuals...''allowable creep'' was not in his vocabulary...it was either get it right...or get another kit off the shelf...disassemble the reg and do it again...

Best...

Warren

Warren,

My mistake...you're correct...

W...

some regs have allowable creep to lockup .....some don't weren't the shop regs Sherwood or usd ? they don't allow creep, you were trained by CM to repair other regs ? hmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom