Invasive tunicates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty alarming when I hear about so many grad students now whose projects center on invasive species. There's a dude on this board working with lionfish, and I know a bunch of other folks in California, Hawaii, Florida, and Texas working up species in their area.

Are you just documenting, or do you have experiments in mind to kill/control the little buggers?

Exotics tick me off...BOO!!

Ok got home and put on my glasses. Yep sure enough that stuff (those things) are at Brant Rock. I can't say they cover everything but there are a few patches, if it is indeed the same stuff it seems to grow on the side of larger rocks in the area the rock curves toward the bottom mostly. Of course I ID'd the skate photo as a TR so what would I know. If I see it I'll forward a few photos and location info.
P

That's a good queston Archman. Most of the control efforts seem to revolve around the effort to stop invasive critters at the most likely source, ballast water. Ships load ballast water in one port and then dump it in another. Much is being done to test filters for the ships ballast system. Once the creatures are introduced, it becomes much harder to control/kill without endangering other species.

Cecil,
Excellent. That's it. Thank you...
I am going to have start a long list of dive sites and buy a drysuit it looks like... :eyebrow:
L
Cecil:
Well it looks like it's got quite foothold on Back Beach. I also saw it this year between Front and Back Beach. Here's another picture from Back Beach two years ago.

Picture

ScubaNorth,
Thank you. :)
L
QUOTE=ScubaNorth]Ok got home and put on my glasses. Yep sure enough that stuff (those things) are at Brant Rock. I can't say they cover everything but there are a few patches, if it is indeed the same stuff it seems to grow on the side of larger rocks in the area the rock curves toward the bottom mostly. Of course I ID'd the skate photo as a TR so what would I know. If I see it I'll forward a few photos and location info.
P[/QUOTE]

Archman,
Right now we are looking at ways they affect the local species. Interspecific competition for space and food. Hopefully this will lead to ways in which they can be controlled. Again, there is not a wealth of information on the little buggers yet, which is what I am trying to collect.
Linda

archman:
It's pretty alarming when I hear about so many grad students now whose projects center on invasive species. There's a dude on this board working with lionfish, and I know a bunch of other folks in California, Hawaii, Florida, and Texas working up species in their area.

Are you just documenting, or do you have experiments in mind to kill/control the little buggers?

Exotics tick me off...BOO!!

None, zero, zilch not a one spot. Went today the 19th and there wasn't a single sign of this creepy stuff. Heading to Brant Rock on Thursday and will report back. Hope all had a good weekend.

P

Scuba North,
Thanks. It's a good thing this stuff hasn't shown up in some places I suppose, being that it may be harmful to the local ecology.
Linda
ScubaNorth:
None, zero, zilch not a one spot. Went today the 19th and there wasn't a single sign of this creepy stuff. Heading to Brant Rock on Thursday and will report back. Hope all had a good weekend.

P

Well it's gotten over to Old Garden Beach also. We saw it there this Saturday. Here's a picture.

I don't know how far south your area of study goes. I've been seeing this tunicate with increasing frequency in the New York metro area. Specifically while diving off of Long Island.

In my area it seems to prefer the inlets of the south shore. These sites generally experiece cooler water temps and stronger currents than areas where it is less common.

I've seen it attached to large boulders, wood dock pilings and cement bridge supports.

If you have any specific questions about my observations, feel free to ask, and good luck with your study.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom