Invasion of the Giant Squid!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightly buttered and battered then fried I bet they'd make quite a meal. At 100 pounds I don't know if I would dispatch one by biting it between the eyes (see octopus thread).

They're not quite as timid as the guy from Stanford would have you believe. A couple of weeks ago, I had just come out of the La Jolla Canyon when I looked over my shoulder. There was an approximately 4 to 5-foot Humboldt squid about 8 feet behind us. It was following and watching us, apparently curious. As soon as I turned my light toward the squid, it took off. It wasn't, however, afraid to approach us in the first place.

We were between 30 and 40 feet, not far from the rim of the canyon. My understanding is that the squid come up at night to feed.

Scot M:
They're not quite as timid as the guy from Stanford would have you believe. A couple of weeks ago, I had just come out of the La Jolla Canyon when I looked over my shoulder. There was an approximately 4 to 5-foot Humboldt squid about 8 feet behind us. It was following and watching us, apparently curious. As soon as I turned my light toward the squid, it took off. It wasn't, however, afraid to approach us in the first place.

Creepy

Dr. Bill must be seeding the kelp to grow a more potent type. After the squid consume that they get the munchies. :D

This is bizarre, but it is not the first time as reported here in 2005.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom