Invade the Keys!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had such an awesome time on my trip to the Florida Keys - couldn't have met better people. The diving was warm and there was a lot of growth on the reefs. There were quite a few fish etc, but it's not as active as the Ningaloo Reef. Still very nice, though.

I only did three dives on the weekend as mostly I spent it schmoozing instead :) I also had to shoot a system I'd never even touched before and of course I put it all together about 15 minutes before I walked out the door. It worked out alright bar a few little annoying problems, like one strobe not firing all the time, as I wasn't there to concentrate on shooting anyway.

I shot a Nikon D200 with the Tokina 10-17 lens.

Otter getting close to a ray with John in the background shooting vid. These are two of the coolest guys on the planet - love 'em to bits!
ITK08_uw011.jpg

Flutemouth trying to pretend he's part of the coral tree
ITK08_uw021.jpg

A school of fishies - these schools were all over every site pretty much.
ITK08_uw031.jpg

One of our group cruising behind a different school of fishies
ITK08_uw05b1.jpg

As always, enjoy...and for those interested, there's a little blurb with some land photos in the ITK 2008 section, too.

Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have attended this year.

I am sure it was. I attended the first two. This year our big trip was to Saba Island. We may go back there again next year for our 30th anniversary. I am still working on that. Wonderful place to visit and dive.

Very nice Kristin...love the trumpetfish! I love Florida and head their 2-3 times a year due to business and try and dive every trip. The last trip saw a huge ray following a bull shark on French Reef...very nice.

I'm going to Key Largo Dec 17th to 21. I go a couple times per year and dive with Ocean
Divers. They wil go out even if there are only 2 people signed up. This is my yearly Christmas present to myself. Winter diving in Florida: 75 degrees. Summer diving in Wisconsin: 43 degrees. Last year for a change of pace we went to Key West. I scheduled that dive with a tourist center instead of a dive shop. At that time of the year there aren't a lot of divers mid week. The tourist center arranges for 1 dive shops to take all the divers and the dive shops take turns going out. This prevented our dive from being canceled due to not enough divers.
A couple of years ago we went to Tarpon Springs, north of Tampa. There I ran into dives being canceled because there weren't enough divers signed up and because of a stupid banana. On the first dive, the weather forcast was perfect with calm seas. Leaving the harbor the DM asked if any one had a banana on the boat. Unfortunately I have one is my dive bag and they made me throw it overboard because bananas are considered bad luck. We did our first ocean dive, when we surfaced we had 6-8 ft waves and the boat wouldn't start. I really was blamed for screwing up the weather and the boat. The rest of the week we had to dive in fresh water because the boat was still broke. I don't beleive the whole banana thing but still I will never take a banana out on my boat.

Really nice. Glad you had a blast. Sorry i couldn't make it this year so I could meet you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom