Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony's Key took us to their resort and we dove the reefs right off their resort with some of their resort guests. I loved my dives in Roatan and want to go back and stay at Anthony's Key after spending part of a day there on a cruise dive excursion. We saw tons of groupers, free swimming moray eels and tons of other stuff. I have also dove with Subway watersports that I booked privately while on a cruise and liked them also. However I don't think you can go wrong with the ship's op Anthony's Key.

Just looked at my dive log and see we went to Overheat Reef and Deep Eel Garden which looked great to me. I'm not sure how they compare to other dive sites in Roatan, it was only about a 5 minute boat ride with I dove the other end of the island with Subway. I assume it's such a short boat ride to the reefs because they are so close to shore.

I did the same thing, went back for a week at AKR a year and 1/2 later, then went back to Roatan for 2 weeks this past May staying in the West End. The place can grow on you very fast!!

I'n going on a cruise to Cozumel & Roatan during Thanksgiving week. I'd rather not book my dives through the ship. Can anyone recommend who I should dive with?

Got nothin' for you on Cozumel but after being locked out of the dives (even with an early attempt at booking it) with a Princess cruise, we tried to avance book at one of the local shops and they wouldn't even return our calls and emails. We heard when we got to the island, that apparently the few operators on the island are so overwhelmed with the resort and cruise ship business that they don't have space for outside reservations.
Having said that, Anthony's Key Resort does a lot of the cruise ship stuff and we did a pair of dives with them through Windstar several years ago and they were top notch. One was the dolpin dive and it was worth the money on it's own. Good luck.

In Cozumel, I've used Dive with Alison and Blue Angel and they both work well with cruisers. With Alison you take a cab directly to the marina and meet her on the boat. With Blue Angel, you get a cab to their dive shop/resort closer to downtown which also has a restaurant overlooking the water. Our dive included lunch which was very good. I haven't tried the cruise ship's dive op in Coz.

In Roatan, I've used Subway Watersports from Turquoise Bay Resort. They pick you up and drive you a long way around the island to their resort. I've also used the ship's op Anthony's Key and both were great. The reefs are a short 5 min boat ride from the resorts. I want to go back to Roatan and stay at Anthony's Key.

Dove with Aldora on many cruises to Cozumel - highly recommend.

Going out with Barefoot in Roatan will let you know how it goes. I heard Anthony's Key was a good operation, but you can only book them through the Ship and the write up's I found indicated, they don't get to the best reefs.

What cruise line and departure point? I'm doing 4 ports from Miami over T'giving.

Recently Dove/Cruised with Royal Caribbean and it was awesome. We took a 3 day trip to Nassau and Coco Cay (their Private island)...Dove at Cocoa Cay...was only a 1 tank shore dive but the 45 minutes we had were great...say a few Rays...few Sea Turtles..a shark....good quick dive. My feelings that being new to diving..any time you can get under the water is good for you. We book our next one and will be visiting Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Jamaca..any thoughts of which two we should choose to dive?...My wife does not dive but I will have a Diver joining us with his family on the trip

Recently Dove/Cruised with Royal Caribbean and it was awesome. We took a 3 day trip to Nassau and Coco Cay (their Private island)...Dove at Cocoa Cay...was only a 1 tank shore dive but the 45 minutes we had were great...say a few Rays...few Sea Turtles..a shark....good quick dive. My feelings that being new to diving..any time you can get under the water is good for you. We book our next one and will be visiting Cozumel, Grand Caymen and Jamaca..any thoughts of which two we should choose to dive?...My wife does not dive but I will have a Diver joining us with his family on the trip

If you are only going to dive two out of three definately COZUMEL AND GRAND CAYMEN!!!

Of all the cruise-dive trips I have done, only once did I book on my own. That was in Bahamas partly because the cruise line didn't offer a dive excursion.
Years ago was on a cruise where Grand Cayman was the first stop. We left Miami (or Ft Lauderdale) late as they were waiting for many passengers who were delayed due to snow storms all across the north east and mid west. Then we arrived late in Cayman. I met a group on the trip that booked a boat on their own. Due to arriving late there was only time to do one dive. The group that booked on their own still paid full price (hey the boat waited all day for them) Those that booked through the ship got half their money back.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try to book my own in future.
When I tried to do it in Cozumel on another trip, I couldn't find an operator who could accomidate me based on the ship's schedule and their schedule. (there are operators recommended by others on this board who were able to coordinate with their ship schedule).
Thru the ships (several different cruise lines on at least 4 different cruises) I have had really cool to so so dives.
In Grand Cayman there are also many operators, and even just to the right of the tender dock you can go to Eden Rock (or something like that) and dive right off the beach.

hi all my husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Cozumel in August, we want to get some diving in, any suggestions?

Also I want to know what are the pros and cons and what to look out for when diving during a cruise.

We will be taking our own gear with the exception of tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom