Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am gonna be in Cozumel July 22 coming in on the Carnival Triumph....I am gonna be doing a 2 tank dive with Sand Dollar Sports..prolly Santa Rosa Wall or San Clemente Reef. Anyone need a buddy?

I am taking a July cruise to Western Caribbean (GC, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan). I'd like to spend 2 of the 4 shore days with my family of non-divers and the other 2 days diving. Which two ports should I dive in and which are better for other stuff?

I'm leaning towards diving Roatan for one of them and one of the Mexican sites for the other, because Grand Cayman is our first stop and don't want to immediately ditch my family. Any suggestions?

Also, can folks recommend specific dive ops to arrange with instead of the cruise ship excursion?

TIA.

If I had to pick two I would choose Cozumel and Roatan. If you are with Carnival, the dive op in Roatan in Anthony's Key which was excellent. I've also used Subway Watersports and was very happy with them. They pick you up at the ship and drive you around the island to Turquoise Bay resort. Both diveops are only a 5 min boat ride to the reefs.

In Cozumel, I've never used the ship's diveop (Dive Safari?) but have heard good things from other divers on the ship who did. I've used Scuba with Alison and was happy with her. She gets good reviews here and on the scuba forum on the Cruise Critic chat room. I used Blue Angel last time and liked them. Had to take a cab to their dive shop but it wasn't far or expensive. The dive included lunch at their open air water-front restaurant which was nice.

If you decide to dive in Belize, the ship's op Peter Hugh's is the best way to go because they pick you up and drop you off at the ship, saving you long tender ride and getting to a different dive shop. I've used Seasports Belize and was happy with them, but had to walk outside the gated "safe area" a couple of blocks with dive gear and they got me back to the tender boat a little late, but there was still a line so I was okay but worried I was gonna get left by the ship.

In Costa Maya, I think that's where I did the ship's excursion's guided Cenote dive which was great!

In Grand Cayman, I recommend the Stingray Sandbar where you are in shallow water with stingrays and snorkel gear. This is great for non-divers.

Last edited:
Family cruise booked On RC Voyager late December 2010. Going to Cozumel, Belize and Roaton. From what I understand ship stops 1 day in each location and I want to dive all three places. Comments, suggestions, what to expect for December diving and dive op recommendations welcome...

I did Cozumel and Roatan on a recent cruise and had fabulous dives in both places, so you are in for a treat.

In Cozumel, I dove with Aldora Divers and I highly recommend them. They were flexible and accommodated the cruise ship's schedule. I had to arrange my own transportation, but that was simple, just take a taxi. The dive experience was phenomenal. I was on a small launch with 4 other divers plus the DM. We dove with steel 120's and spent more than an hour on the bottom on both dives. Everyone on the boat agreed to let me pick the dive site and profile since I was the cruise ship passenger and had only one day in Coz and everyone else was there for the week. The DM Javier was very professional and made it safe and enjoyable.

In Roatan I dove with the ship's excursion, led by AKR (Anthony's Key Resort). The resort is beautiful and the staff are very professional. I did not have to think about anything as they pick us up and drop us off all on a carefully choreographed schedule. Unlike with my Cozumel dive I got to meet some other divers on my ship, for what that's worth. The downside is quite simply bottom time. We had a large group -- two busloads/two boats of about 16 divers each -- which can mean you spend a lot of time on entry and exit. They chum the waters so you get giant groupers and snappers to look at while you wait for loading and unloading of the cattle boat. People on SB and other boards say that ship's tour operator will take you to the closest reef even if it's lame, and we did just take a 5 minute boat ride to the reef, but I was pretty impressed with the dive sites themselves, although "We will be diving X today" was a stark contrast to the attitude in Cozumel where they asked me where I wanted to dive. We only spent about 40 and 45 minutes on the bottom during the two dives, respectively. I finished both dives with more than 1000 PSI (and returned to the ship with two hours to spare!).

The dive itself was so gorgeous and the 15 other divers on my boat were pretty well organized about gearing up and getting in, so I had a great time, but next time I would make arrangements with one of the several reputable dive ops on the island. They may give you cheaper, more personalized service with a longer bottom time. I have read positive reviews here on SB about Coconut Tree, Bananarama, and West End divers.

Good luck and have fun.

Several years ago my wife and I dove at Pablo's Place in Roatan with AKR, as well as their dolphin dive; both above average dives with exceptional attention from the dive crew who kept a leisurely pace once under water. Pablo's Place was beautiful with schools of blue chromies, damselfish and coral life looking good. I have heard rumors that the coral life has deteriorated with the growth of human population on Roatan but I would and will go again when I am down there next.
Try not to miss diving Belize. It was the highlight of that cruise/dive vacation and we have been wanting to get back ever since. A good boat ride away from the cruise ship, we dove at Elkins Bay and Chasbo's Corner on Turneffe Reef and although we saw few large animals (basically one good sized turtle, a few barracuda and some good sized horse-eyed jacks in the distance) it was akin to diving in a dentist's aquarium. Vis was in excess of 120 feet and schools of colorful fish were everywhere. There was numerous stuff hiding in the cracks and plenty of healthy coral. And to top it all off, on the ride back we were accompanied by a small pod of dolphin leaping out of the wake. A thoroughly satisfying dive.

If you dive in Belize use the ship's operator....they pick you up off the ship, vice having to get to port (20 min tender) and back.

Dove with Aldora on many cruises to Cozumel - highly recommend.

Going out with Barefoot in Roatan will let you know how it goes. I heard Anthony's Key was a good operation, but you can only book them through the Ship and the write up's I found indicated, they don't get to the best reefs.

Anthony's Key took us to their resort and we dove the reefs right off their resort with some of their resort guests. I loved my dives in Roatan and want to go back and stay at Anthony's Key after spending part of a day there on a cruise dive excursion. We saw tons of groupers, free swimming moray eels and tons of other stuff. I have also dove with Subway watersports that I booked privately while on a cruise and liked them also. However I don't think you can go wrong with the ship's op Anthony's Key.

Just looked at my dive log and see we went to Overheat Reef and Deep Eel Garden which looked great to me. I'm not sure how they compare to other dive sites in Roatan, it was only about a 5 minute boat ride with I dove the other end of the island with Subway. I assume it's such a short boat ride to the reefs because they are so close to shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom