Introducing our new Cruise Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi all my husband and I are thinking about taking a cruise to Cozumel in August, we want to get some diving in, any suggestions?

Also I want to know what are the pros and cons and what to look out for when diving during a cruise.

We will be taking our own gear with the exception of tanks.

I wouldn't take weights either. LOL I am sure you knew to do that.

If you book through cruise, its easy they pick you up and bring you back to ship and if there is any foul up with timing you are covered.
on the other hand, the dive is a little more aimed at the newbe or those who dive very infrequently.

If you book on your own, you will probably get a dive more suited to your experience level. It may be a little cheaper, but... you will probably have to make your own arrangements to get from and to the ship. If you don't get back to the ship on time you are SOL and need to make your own arrangements to catch up with the ship.
Also I have been having a little difficulty finding an operator whose schedule works with the ship's schedule.

good luck

My wife and I are avid divers, both at home, and while on vacation. We have become big fans of Princess Cruises, for their itineraries and their service.

We have put together very lightweight travel kits that fit in a carry-on bag and are legal size to fit in the overhead if we fly to our cruise. Aqua Lung Zuma BC with Airsource 3 integrated octo/inflator, Aqua Lung Hot Shot fins (love 'em), Atomic T2 reg with Suunto D9 wireless wrist mount computer. My wife's rig is similar, with her own reg setup.

April had us diving St John in USVI, Dominica, Bonaire and Aruba. We are going to let Princess cook Thanksgiving diner for us in November while we dive Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Great diving can be had at some of the great dive destinations around the world. You just can't get a dive sampler like that any other way.

I may be doing a cruise in September with one day on Nassau and one day at Freeport. Our day at Freeport will be short with an 0700 arrival and 1400 departure. We have longer in Nassau and I know the cruise offers a shark dive excursion with Stuart Cove's, been there--done that, so would like to know if there are any other options. Would also like to know if there is any possibility of diving during our short port time at Freeport--maybe a private charter? I haven't been diving to Freeport before, so I would love to give it a try.

I may have a dive buddy for one or both days. I'm very experienced and love photography; my buddy is not as experienced and doesn't need anything too adventurous. I'm more of a diver than a cruiser, but I'm going along for a birthday bash. I've done one other cruise, to Coz, and did the dive excursion. Yes, there were a lot of newbies, but we had fantastic vis and I made the best of it. Thanks, Carol

Bahama Divers is the other option on Nassau. They're located on at the base of the bridge to Paradise Island so maybe 2? miles away from the port. Their boat leaves at 8:30.

If cruising to Puerto Rico or New York/New Jersey (in the summer) please check out SALTDIVERS.COM

---------- Post added October 26th, 2014 at 04:59 PM ----------

I dove with Bahama Divers two years ago and had a great time! They were also able to accommodate for non-divers that came along for the trip, they were able to snorkel at the site as well!

Hi there, Diving Couples - Husband and Wife Scuba buddies.
Interested in unlimited diving while on a cruise, or better yet - not a commercial operation at all? No, this boat will not leave you behind but operate solely on the divers onboard's time schedule and not the other way around. Unlimited dives, unlimited refills, top brand/quality diving equipment. All inclusive.
We dive not necessarily the overcrowded hot spots, but only the very best international dive spots.

Attachments

• uwater9.jpg
    uwater9.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 21
  • blue-water-divers-airplane.jpg
    blue-water-divers-airplane.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hr62-genom-akter.jpg
    hr62-genom-akter.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.png
    4.png