Introduce Yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So hey guys, I am wondering how the work situation is out there. Working in the dockbuilders local at least gave us the opportunity to get work pile driving, form work and shuttering on road projects which paid the bills but didn't keep me in the water.

Word is that they are going to be starting a huge overhaul of the port in Motril but the "crisis" has put a lot of things on hold over here.

sorry for not giving a full detail of C&D Dive Service here is what we offer for our customers hull cleaning , prop polishing, zinc replacement,prop pulling an replacement , doing prop entanglements. We are only doing this part time both having full time jobs.We currently have 37 monthly accounts,we do not advertise that much just by word of mouth an a sign on my personal van

Ah, finally , spot for the umbilical boys ( & a few girls now! ).

I've been retired from active offshore oilfield work since 94', though I still keep abreast of the goings-on in the deepsea world. My years as a roving, bagavond, scurvy deepsea diver remain some of the best times of my life. So many places, so many interesting jobs, more than a few adventures...and lots of ladies!

Say lads - we should come up with a stock "sticky" for all those wanna-be kids who want to know all the good stuff about a career in the deeps. I don't know how many times I've written on this board about the subject ( I know others here have as well ). This might be better as a seperate thread, but what do you think? A good idea or no?

Anyway, I look foreward to pilavering with y'all!

Regards,
DSD

DSD - Read the welcome sticky.

DSD - Read the welcome sticky.

...and the responses provide a good deal of practical information - but is it as complete as we could make it? Further, I'm not convinced many will access that sticky as worded, as compared to something like: "So you wanna be a Commercial Deepsea Diver? Read Here.", or some such wording. The dedicated page would encapsulize all they need to know ( it would be a living document, open to additions / updating as needed ). The inquirer would then be prepared to ask specific questions concerning the material to the good membership.

Regards,
DSD

Ah, finally , spot for the umbilical boys ( & a few girls now! ).

I've been retired from active offshore oilfield work since 94', though I still keep abreast of the goings-on in the deepsea world. My years as a roving, bagavond, scurvy deepsea diver remain some of the best times of my life. So many places, so many interesting jobs, more than a few adventures...and lots of ladies!

Say lads - we should come up with a stock "sticky" for all those wanna-be kids who want to know all the good stuff about a career in the deeps. I don't know how many times I've written on this board about the subject ( I know others here have as well ). This might be better as a seperate thread, but what do you think? A good idea or no?

Anyway, I look foreward to pilavering with y'all!

Regards,
DSD

Hey DSD, I spent several years in Ontario at DCIEM and instructing at Seneca, perhaps we've crossed paths. What companies have you worked with?

Wayne

Hey DSD, I spent several years in Ontario at DCIEM and instructing at Seneca, perhaps we've crossed paths. What companies have you worked with?

Wayne

I started with Hydrospace out of St. Johns Nfld. in early Feb. of 81'. They sent me to Campeche', Mexico for 4 months on a dredge barge for oilfield diving Tendering 101. When I got back, they offered me regular crew on the Ocean Ranger, but I said no ( lucky me - the lad that replaced me on the barge returned & said "yes" to the Ranger, & went down with her shortly after ) & went to the Beaufort Sea for Can Dive ( here's a tale from my days up there.... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hu...tales/825-if-bottom-firm-why-does-squirm.html ). I was on & off with Can Dive for the next 10 years, doing marine construction ( This was a fun job!: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/non-diving-related-stuff/7275-up-my-chicken-guts.html ), & a 2 year stint on the Sedco 706 ( I got aboard her 6 mo.'s after the Ranger tragedy - here's a few stories from Hibernia: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...60-200-air-rapidly-expanding-volleyballs.html and : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/2524-saturation-v-m-c.html). I also spent alot of time on Lake Erie, in the natural gas industry there.

I also travelled to S.E. Asia & did the "hired gun" routine there ( just in case you're not completely read-out - her's one from Asia: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no.../872-do-you-get-feeling-were-not-welcome.html ). Had a blast over there.

So, that's a snapshot of my career.

I know Dave Geddes @ Seneca. Most of my Can Dive buddies are graduates of the U/W Skills program. I worked many a job with Gordy "The Rat Dog" Hay, who runs the Canadian Working Divers Institute. I worked with Mike Fletcher in L. Erie; hasn't he done well these past years?! There are a host of others - all great guys ( have you ever found a collection of characters remotely like the deepsea boys? ). Do you know Don Barthlemess @ S.B.C.C.? He runs the diving program there & was a classmate of mine @ F.I.T.

I remember visiting D.C.E.I.M. on a tour arranged through the U/W Canada symposium in 1979. Quite an impressive fascility. I had just finished my first year at F.I.T. & was looking for contacts.

So where did the deepsea life take you?

Regards,
DSD

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom