Intro to Wreck class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Has anyone had good experiences with certain instructors for a wreck certification? I was going to use a local SDI shop and dive off Jersey. I'm interested in learning how to use a reel and other stuff, but am a little intimidated with diving off Jersey. It looks like most of the agencies have a similar wreck class. Are there any agencies better than another for learning or is it like most of the other classes and the instructor is the number one choice.

is it like most of the other classes and the instructor is the number one choice.
Yes. Especially one with reel/line skills. Try and find an instructor who also teaches Cave, or at least Cavern. Agency is not important, unless you want to penetrate the wreck...not all allow that in an intro class.

Hi,
Has anyone had good experiences with certain instructors for a wreck certification? I was going to use a local SDI shop and dive off Jersey. I'm interested in learning how to use a reel and other stuff, but am a little intimidated with diving off Jersey. It looks like most of the agencies have a similar wreck class. Are there any agencies better than another for learning or is it like most of the other classes and the instructor is the number one choice.

I had a nice wreck class, complete with line/reel skills. Limited penetration. SDI. Partly done on a shallow Lake Michigan wreck. I’ll write more later.

Not all wreck classes teach running a line. Make sure you clarify that with any instructor you're considering.

The critical success factor is the instructor rather than the agency. Indeed, one can have the same dive centre with a great instructor, and a mediocre instructor teaching wreck.

My recommendation is to find a tec instructor who can teach wreck and cave, rather than a recreational instructor who can teach wreck. Nothing against recreational instructors, but cave divers/instructors use the tools, processes and skills required in wreck on a daily basis as they explore cave systems never to have seen humans before!

Therefore, look for a PADI dive centre that also teaches TDI courses. Look for a location that attracts the best divers who also teach to fund their passion! Given that airfare prices are in free-fall, consider a dive centre you need to fly to to take your wreck course (e.g. Florida for wreck diving and cave diving).

Hint: follow tec and cave divers on Instagram to see what is happening in the technical world and what dive centres are at the top of the technical diving and teaching game (e.g. Under The Jungle).

Good luck

The critical success factor is the instructor rather than the agency. Indeed, one can have the same dive centre with a great instructor, and a mediocre instructor teaching wreck.

My recommendation is to find a tec instructor who can teach wreck and cave, rather than a recreational instructor who can teach wreck. Nothing against recreational instructors, but cave divers/instructors use the tools, processes and skills required in wreck on a daily basis as they explore cave systems never to have seen humans before!

Therefore, look for a PADI dive centre that also teaches TDI courses. Look for a location that attracts the best divers who also teach to fund their passion! Given that airfare prices are in free-fall, consider a dive centre you need to fly to to take your wreck course (e.g. Florida for wreck diving and cave diving).

Hint: follow tec and cave divers on Instagram to see what is happening in the technical world and what dive centres are at the top of the technical diving and teaching game (e.g. Under The Jungle).

Good luck

I wonder if a TDI Advanced Wreck (full penetration) instructor is going to be able to teach a recreational wreck class (limited penetration within the light zone) if they don’t already have SDI instructor ratings. Here it seems you usually don’t take Advanced Wreck unless you are already AN/DP certified. And the Advanced Wreck class must be done in tech gear.

ETA: the OP is in the NE and would be diving wrecks locally. Why shouldn’t he train in his local conditions on wrecks he would actually dive? Why go down to FL? Believe it or not, there are instructors outside of FL, regardless of the SB bias towards FL.

Agree with Skulmoski. My basic Wreck class (PADI--Emerald Coast Scuba, Destin, FL) was excellent. The instructor (no longer there) was a very experienced Cave Diver who was written up for Springs exploration down there. We did the course at Vortex Spring, which had an appropriate "structure" to negotiate, map, etc. Also some training with a slung pony bottle as many wrecks are in deeper water.
Lots of reel training topside beforehand and pointers during the dives on how to tie the line off, "line traps", etc.

Agree with Skulmoski. My basic Wreck class (PADI--Emerald Coast Scuba, Destin, FL) was excellent. The instructor (no longer there) was a very experienced Cave Diver who was written up for Springs exploration down there. We did the course at Vortex Spring, which had an appropriate "structure" to negotiate, map, etc. Also some training with a slung pony bottle as many wrecks are in deeper water.
Lots of reel training topside beforehand and pointers during the dives on how to tie the line off, "line traps", etc.

Cool! I hope you can get to the Tulum cenotes and perhaps do a TDI Cavern or Intro to Cave. I spent 4 days last September in the Caverns and it was amazing. I want to go back! Definitely bucket list diving. Take care!

I wonder if a TDI Advanced Wreck (full penetration) instructor is going to be able to teach a recreational wreck class (limited penetration within the light zone) if they don’t already have SDI instructor ratings.

SDI and TDI are really the same agency.

Being an SDI Wreck Instructor is a prerequisite to becoming a TDI Advanced Wreck Instructor.

SDI and TDI are really the same agency.

Being an SDI Wreck Instructor is a prerequisite to becoming a TDI Advanced Wreck Instructor.

Well, that’s good to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom