Intro to Tech, to make a better Rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a lot of reading here, I think my thought process might be sound. I'm considering taking an Intro to Tech, primarily to make me a better recreational diver. I will never dive caves...

I was thinking the same thing a little over a year ago. I ended up taking GUE Fundies. Class was taught in a single tank, and I got everything I was looking for and more out of it. Absolutely worthwhile.

The only problem is that after taking that class I got connected with the local GUE community. Soon after I was diving doubles. Then I started looking towards DPVs... helium... and now after a week of cavern diving in Mexico, caves are on the radar. Taking Fundies can be expensive. :)

I was thinking the same thing a little over a year ago. I ended up taking GUE Fundies. Class was taught in a single tank, and I got everything I was looking for and more out of it. Absolutely worthwhile.

The only problem is that after taking that class I got connected with the local GUE community. Soon after I was diving doubles. Then I started looking towards DPVs... helium... and now after a week of cavern diving in Mexico, caves are on the radar. Taking Fundies can be expensive. :)

Well at the NSS-CDS conference they were handing out literal Kool-Aid for a reason. :wink: Drink that stuff and you are stuck!

@Birddog1911 don't get me wrong, GUE Fundies is a brilliant class and if you have a local instructor and think that may be a better option, don't shy away from it. In fact, I would recommend contacting both instructors and talking with them to figure out which you think is going to be more in line with what you are looking to do.

Keep in mind with Fundies though that you will be required to do training in "their" configuration. I.e. primary donate, no airII, BP/W, etc. etc. where as @boulderjohn will be able to let you use whatever gear you may have. I believe that the GUE style gear is better/safer than what you were likely trained in, but if you have already purchased it, John will be able to help you adapt it to the best possible configuration using that gear so will be a bit more flexible.

@tbone1004 , I am just a poor enlisted guy, so for now I think it'll be with boulderjohn. I really do want to learn to use a bp/w, and I'm one who thinks you can always learn from more training, so will consider the GUE Fundies next year.

ETA: That almost sounds like I'm not excited by the idea of training with boulderjohn, or that I'd be settling. Couldn't be further from the truth!

Since my name has been invoked on a number of occasions, I will chime in. I will be happy to chat with anyone about what it is they want to do and proceed accordingly. It could be anything from a single dive in shallow water with a few tips to a full blown tech program, with whatever is needed in between. No special gear requirements if none are desired. I will send a private message to get things going.

I will be doing a very simple intro to BP/W with someone at Chatfield Reservoir tomorrow. I will be doing a full trimix class with someone in a few weeks. Anything in between those will work.

It wasn't even about me, it was a reminder to the SB universe in general. I looked up the cost once because I was curious. A couple grand for a class, . . .

Unless fees have increased enormously in the last couple of years, it can't be as much as "a couple grand." I don't recall exactly what I paid in 2014, but it was much less than that.

Unless fees have increased enormously in the last couple of years, it can't be as much as "a couple grand." I don't recall exactly what I paid in 2014, but it was much less than that.

I don't remember who the instructor was/location, but it was clearly at least $2K. Class fees were listed online.

I don't remember who the instructor was/location, but it was clearly at least $2K. Class fees were listed online.

You'd certainly pay that for a Tech 1 or Cave 1 course, but that seems high for Fundies. That said, it isn't cheap. Locally, our instructor charges $800 for a ~5 day (4 weekend days plus 2 long evenings) class. GUE adds an additional $100 for certification card and course materials. Add in some minor ancillary fees for things like pool usage and nitrox fills. And most people will end up needing to replace some equipment for the class, and that adds up as well. Nobody is ever going to win an argument by saying that GUE training is inexpensive. But I personally think it was well worth the money spent.

Could that have been a fee for a whole class/team, not per student? I just looked up what I paid. I paid $650 in mid-2014 in Florida. I know instructor fees are not set in stone, and I have heard that fees can vary geographically somewhat. Maybe fees in FL, being GUE HQ, are a little more competitive. I have heard, for example, that Cave 1 is generally more expensive in Mexico than Florida. I would be surprised if Fundies varied THAT much, though.

Depending on the instructor and excluding the $95 registration fee, fundies costs between $650-$950. Tech 1/Cave1 ranges from $1750 - $2500.

Back
Top Bottom