Intro to Tech, to make a better Rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birddog1911

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After a lot of reading here, I think my thought process might be sound. I'm considering taking an Intro to Tech, primarily to make me a better recreational diver. I will never dive caves, or serious wreck penetrations. Chances are I'll never use a CCR.

But what I want to do is perfect my trim, and be as proficient and efficient at diving as I can. I'm sure much of this will come with more experience, but I don't see how taking the course would not be a considerable benefit.

How is my thinking on this? Sorry, this has probably been discussed before, but my Google-fu is weak.

After a lot of reading here, I think my thought process might be sound. I'm considering taking an Intro to Tech, primarily to make me a better recreational diver. I will never dive caves, or serious wreck penetrations. Chances are I'll never use a CCR.

But what I want to do is perfect my trim, and be as proficient and efficient at diving as I can. I'm sure much of this will come with more experience, but I don't see how taking the course would not be a considerable benefit.

How is my thinking on this? Sorry, this has probably been discussed before, but my Google-fu is weak.

TDI Intro to Tech has been described to me as a "buoyancy course on steroids" and a great way to perfect trim/buoyancy as a rec diver. I plan on taking it sometime next year.

I don't remember where you live. GUE Fundies aren't an option for everyone due to location/time/cost.

I love teaching the TDI Intro to Tech course! it is a great course to take even if you never intend on going all the way into technical diving or into cave diving. It will make you a far better diver, with much better understanding on dive planning, will square away your buoyancy, trim, propulsion, etc.. Definitely recommend it!

. . .

Your thinking is a lot of mine was (and many others). I asked a similar question on SB a few years ago, though I didn't specifically ask about Intro to Tech. Rather, simply "how could I become a more skilled and safer rec diver"?

Among various answers I received, the one that resonated with me was GUE Fundies. I took the class using recreational gear (albeit GUE-style rec gear) and stating no interest in tech diving in the foreseeable future. My three classmates were all in the same mindset--simply improving our rec diving.

Here's a recent thread on the topic: Classes to become a better recreational diver?

Guess it might have been helpful to point out that I'm PADI certified, but I have no issue with another agency.

I missed that thread. Thanks, Lorenzoid.

I did both GUE fundies and TDI intro to tech. I didn't really get much out of the Intro to Tech course. Maybe that's because I did GUE fundies first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom