Interview with Lamar Hires

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The same channel that did interviews with Woody Jasper and Scott Hunsucker, got Lamar Hires to sit down and talk about the earlier days of cave diving. This one spends a lot of time on pushing beyond that backmount caves and into sidemount.

This is the cave diving Youtube content I like to see. Make it more about the exploration and the history, instead of the bodies that were pulled out of the cave.

Direct YT Link

Man what I would give for an opportunity to buy some of those guys a beer.
This is one of my favourite YouTube channels.

When watching interviews from people who started cave diving in the 80s, you can really tell that they are all alive because of pure luck early on in their cave diving journey.

Thank you for posting the video.

Just wait until you hear stories from the early 70s about cave diving.

He should interview Bill Main, even though he is 80s vintage.

I recall seeing Cort Smith diving Devils' about 1974. - Someone should interview Cort.

Woody Jasper is another 80's vintage dude that has a lotta history.

Larry Green 80's vintage.

Most all the 1970s guys I dived with or was trained by are no longer alive. These were the innovators.

I'd say Lamar Hires did as much or more for cave diving as Tom Mount, Rory Dickens or Scheck Exley.

@Manatee Diver I did another day at Devils' today and did not see another soul in the cave. Probably going again tomorrow.

Most all the 1970s guys I dived with or was trained by are no longer alive. These were the innovators.

Yeah that is becoming the problem, which is why I think it is urgent to get their oral histories. Similar to what Ambrose did for WW2.

@Manatee Diver I did another day at Devils' today and did not see another soul in the cave. Probably going again tomorrow.

Lucky.

That was a really enjoyable interview. Thank you for posting!

I enjoyed the interview, except for the questions that were mostly not audible. Kind of amateurish.

I'm really admiring and respectful of the diving/cave-diving equipment we have today, due to guys like Lamar and their ingenuity and innovation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom