Internet or Not for Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm new here, in fact pretty new to diving in general. Anyway, in talking to my local dive shop they discourage buying equipment on the internet. Obviously, this might have something to do with the fact they sell it.

Anyway, it seems to me some equipment can be purchased safely on the internet. Items like lights, knives, bags, and things like that are easy to figure out.

However, how about things like regulators, computers, BCDs, etc?

I want a Suunto Vyper, but, is it a good idea to buy it on the net? If so, who has them and what kind of price break can I expect over buying it in the store?

Thanks

Brian

brianwl:
Hi All,

I'm new here, in fact pretty new to diving in general. Anyway, in talking to my local dive shop they discourage buying equipment on the internet. Obviously, this might have something to do with the fact they sell it.

Anyway, it seems to me some equipment can be purchased safely on the internet. Items like lights, knives, bags, and things like that are easy to figure out.

I want a Suunto Vyper, but, is it a good idea to buy it on the net? If so, who has them and what kind of price break can I expect over buying it in the store?

Thanks

Brian

The search feature is your friend. At any one time, there are 4 or 5 threads going at a time about buying dive gear over the net. To say this topic has been beat to death is to engage in the hugest form of understatement.

Search and you'll find lots.

FWIW - I get all my stuff online. eBay mostly.

Welcome. Happy hunting.

K

brianwl:
Hi All,

Thanks

Brian

What? An LDS that frowns on you buying it from someone else? (said sarcastically, of course...)

Bought my Suunto Vyper computer from LeisurePro...Saved well over $100 from my LDS price.

No probs....

Also bought my diverite Transpac II and reg set at LP....saved quite a bit there also.

Bought two Apeks First stages and one second stage on the net, and not from the US. :)

I have bought wetsuits and drysuits at my LDS, to get properly fitted, use it in the pool, etc. Was well worth the extra cost.

If you plug in "leisurepro" in the search box, you'll find all the LDS v. internet information you could ever ask for.

Net purchases are great IFF you know what your buying. Purchasing items that need to fit is a risky venture unless you have sized the item in the past. Have made a number of purchases from LP and others who have been great to buy from. LP does a nice job.

brianwl:
...Anyway, it seems to me some equipment can be purchased safely on the internet. Items like lights, knives, bags, and things like that are easy to figure out....

As has been said, do a search on this question and all will be revealed. Much depends upon if you want a factory warranty. For example, Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized dealer for much of what they sell and it does NOT have a factory warranty. They offer one of their own.

Also if you are going to by on the net, please do not abuse the LDS by using their equipment (they had to buy it and stock it so you could try it and this is part of their higher cost) and their expertise. You are not paying for that service and so should not use it. The cost of having the equpment and labor there for you to touch and feel and question is part of the cost of their equipment that you are saving by buying online.

Why not see about renting some gear from your LDS. Your paying for their time and the use of the gear. You pay the going rate and find out if you like the particular set up. I agree, I am not a fan of wasting your LDS's time by trying on thier stock and then buying elsewhere.

pasley:
As has been said, do a search on this question and all will be revealed. Much depends upon if you want a factory warranty. For example, Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized dealer for much of what they sell and it does NOT have a factory warranty. They offer one of their own.

I found an interesting way around this problem. Scuba.com will match prices of even unauthorized dealers so you can get anything from them at leisurepro's prices. They are an authorized dealer for just about everything they sell so all your warranties are good. I just placed a large order with them and it turned out to even be a little cheaper than leisurepro because they don't gouge you on shipping (flat $14.95).

TostitoBandito:
I found an interesting way around this problem...

Gee... any chance this is a troll?? If not... Welcome to the board... if so... how long have you worked for them? :wink: We've been matching their prices for a long time - some care about the warranty - some don't, but most everyone is knows the major sites that will match LP pricing...

but hey... if you do work there... tell them to stop stealing graphics from my site! :biggrin2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom