Intermediate diver choosing between 4 BCDs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Diver0001 - can you please elaborate a bit on what issues you have seen with the Mares power inflators ? I have a Mares Pure SLS purchased recently and used for approx. 30+ dives.. I did not observe any problems with the inflator. would appreciate your insight so I can take any precautions in advance... thanks

Couple of my dive buddies use Litehawks for warm and coldwater and they really like them. Both ordered 2013 models from LP but were sent newer models. Some users turn the included accessory pockets upside down to use as dumpable weight pockets for warm water diving. Other folks use 5LB XS Scuba Quick Release Single Diving Weight Pocket. For more weight capacity the Dive Rite 16 LB QB Weight Pocket works well. You want to get something with a vertical orientation that doesn't take up a lot space on the belt. HOG Gear Quick Drop Weight Pocket 10LB is other less expensive option. I'd avoid the ScubaPro Weight Pouch System as it has horizontal orientation and takes up too much space on the belt. One buddy uses a XS Scuba Cargo Pocket for foldable snorkel etc. It again has vertical orientation so doesn't take up much space on belt. I have a Zeagle Express Tech with 35LB bladder that I really like but if I had to get a new BCD I'd get the Litehawk.

Another vote here for the Litehawk. Bought one this time last year and took it to Palau earlier this year. As soon as I returned I sold my other BC and now only dive the Litehawk. I'm pretty sure the older model did not have the two rear trim pouches and the newer ones do. I can easily get a 5 lb weight in each rear trim pouch and can also get a 5 lb weight in each of the accessory pouches for a total of 20 lbs. The newer model also has an upper and lower tank strap. If you can do it, I'd definitely get a newer model Litehawk. They are an excellent BC.

@Diver0001 - can you please elaborate a bit on what issues you have seen with the Mares power inflators ? I have a Mares Pure SLS purchased recently and used for approx. 30+ dives.. I did not observe any problems with the inflator. would appreciate your insight so I can take any precautions in advance... thanks

The vests we use for training have seen a lot of hours in the water so you need to take this in context. What I see is that mouthpiece will eventually loosen and/or fall off and the "deflate" button becomes worn to the point that it's nearly impossible to properly orally inflate the vest.

These things combined are issues that i would rather not see in an inflator at all and I don't see them in inflators that are built well.

R..

Hello all,

I only dive in warm waters but I wear one piece 5/4mm, gloves and sometimes hood vest!

Having hard time trying to choose between these models (please don't suggest more expensive models):

1. Mares Pure SLS - (I like the easy weight release system, extras D rings and pocket. Looks durable too)
  2. Zeagle Scout - (I'm worry about reaching the weight pockets in the back in case of emergency release. And is it a problem if my buddy has difficult finding it?)
  3. Cressi Ultralight OR Cressi Air Travel 2.0
  4. Scubapro Litehawk (2013 version) +
    Quick-Ditch Weight Holster Pocket Kit
Looking for:
- Light weight/ easy packing if possible (weighing 8.8lbs tops)
- Back inflated
- Integrated weights and easy weight release
Based on your needs, the Zeagle Scout should be eliminated. It is not considered to be weight integrated, as it only has the rear weight pockets. Generally, those are for trim weights and non-ditchable. I like Zeagle BCs, but wouldn't use the Scout if integrated weight was a requirement. For weight integrated, you'll likely need to step up to the Covert or Express Tech. They are a bit more expensive, but still fairly reasonable.

Also, I'm not sure that the lift capacity on the Scout will be sufficient when diving with the wetsuit. How much weight do you use? Express Tech is the same lift, Covert adds a bit more.

I think you will really enjoy the Express Tech. I love diving with mine and it packs up great for travel.

I agree that cressi inflator is crap... My cressi ultralight only lasted no more than 30 dives, it needs to be serviced afterward... I just bought ht seaquest balance in very good condition, and will give it try....

OK, I acknowledge that this post reflects a comment that is a bit tangential to the focus of the OP's initial post (BCD selection). AND, the OP has already made a decision to go with the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe (GREAT choice, by the way).
4. on the surface I did notice that it tends to push you face down when fully inflated... towards the middle of the trip I figured out the best way to handle this was to not fully inflate on the surface (just 70-80%) and move some of the weights to the trim weight pockets in the lower back.. this helped reduce the push forward tendency of the BCD. Maybe others with more experience with back inflated systems can suggest how to improve on this.
But, I really want to thank RB7 for the post, and the particular comment, above - here is a diver who is actively learning to optimize their buoyancy and trim by trying different approaches - kudos!

A (too) regularly repeated criticism of back-inflate BCDs is that they have a tendency to push the diver face down at the surface. This has become almost urban legend at this point. And, yes, that CAN (but certainly does not need to) happen. If the diver is overweighted, and / or the weight is improperly distributed, and / or the diver over-inflates the BCD at the surface, it MAY happen. RB7's post directly addresses those conditions by pointing out what he did to address the issue.

One of the problems with many weight-integrated BCDs is that they place the weight IN FRONT OF the diver's vertical midline, when viewed from the side (i.e. the coronal plane). But, the inflation bladder is BEHIND that midline. In the water, physics dictates that the center of lift and the center of weight seek vertical alignment, with the center of lift as directly above the center of weight as possible. That would be essentially a horizontal position, with the diver's face in the water. The diver may be positively buoyant - and usually is, when wearing a wetsuit - but they are sandwiched between weight in front and lift in back.

So, a diver ascends to the surface, and naturally adds air to their BCD to establish positive buoyancy. That inflated bladder, and the weights in the BCD seek vertical alignment, and the diver senses a slight tendency to be pushed into a face down position. To counter this they add more air to the BCD, which only makes the situation worse.

What is the solution: a) use the proper amount of weight - do not overweight, which causes the diver to add more air to the BCD in an attempt to compensate for the extra weight; b) move weight from in front of the vertical midline to a position behind the vertical midline (e.g. use back trim pockets, or even better - a negatively buoyant, metal back plate) to minimize the distance between center of lift and center of weight with weight behind them, the diver tends to be pulled backward (more face up) if anything, although having the lift also behind tends to balance out that tendency; c) do not over-inflate at the surface - you do not need to have your entire upper body out of the water at the surface, just your head / neck. This is exactly what RB7 learned to do, and what he found worked! Good for him.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom