Intermediate diver choosing between 4 BCDs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I only dive in warm waters but I wear one piece 5/4mm, gloves and sometimes hood vest!

Having hard time trying to choose between these models (please don't suggest more expensive models):

1. Mares Pure SLS - (I like the easy weight release system, extras D rings and pocket. Looks durable too)
  2. Zeagle Scout - (I'm worry about reaching the weight pockets in the back in case of emergency release. And is it a problem if my buddy has difficult finding it?)
  3. Cressi Ultralight OR Cressi Air Travel 2.0
  4. Scubapro Litehawk (2013 version) +
    Quick-Ditch Weight Holster Pocket Kit
Looking for:
- Light weight/ easy packing if possible (weighing 8.8lbs tops)
- Back inflated
- Integrated weights and easy weight release

5,6 ft
138 lbs

Thank you so much

(Sorry for the bad english as it's not my native language)

Last edited:
If you're looking for votes, mine is for the Scubapro Litehawk. Good solid BCD and it's lightweight with rear inflate and two moveable accessory pockets. You need a place to stow your slate and foldable snorkel!

(I'm worry about reaching the weight pockets in the back in case of emergency release. And is it a problem if my buddy has difficult finding it?)

Its only a problem if you're unconscious on the bottom.

Hey DavBuc, thanks for the imput.

I only hear good things about the LiteHawk.

Having only one tank strap makes the tank loose or wooble?

Did you get the extra Quick-Ditch Weight Holster Pocket Kit?

Thank you

I used Zeagle BCDs for over two decades before going to a backplate. I would choose the Scout over the others. Their BCDs are very adjustable and soft back is very comfortable. I like having two tank straps. I would not worry about the location of the weights I have something similar with my backplate.

FWIW I personally would not buy ScubaPro today as their ownership and business policies in the USA do not agree with me. Things may be different in Brazil.

Hey DavBuc, thanks for the imput.

I only hear good things about the LiteHawk.

Having only one tank strap makes the tank loose or wooble?

Did you get the extra Quick-Ditch Weight Holster Pocket Kit?

Thank you

I don't dive the LiteHawk, but I'm familiar with it from another diver. I don't believe they have the extra weight pocket kit.

My BCD is a Seaquest Balance, it has only one tank strap which is more than enough, just be sure you make it tight and position the tank properly. More than one tank strap is overkill for most recreational diving applications.

I have a Cressi Air Travel.

It meets all of requirements which you have identified. It was very comfortable in the water. It packed up very small and was great for a travel BCD.

The big drawback with it was that it was about 4 pounds (almost 2 kg) positively buoyant. I had to add an extra 4 pounds of weight just to offset the BCD.

Although I still have it, I have switched to a BP/W.

Last edited:
The only one I'm familiar with is the Lighthawk, and I think it's a good BC, but I can't compare with the others you listed.

Some BCs are better off with 2 straps, especially if they have completely soft pack. But Scubapro straps including whatever was on that tend to be very secure, and I think there is a small rigid pack on that one?

I would not consider 8.8 pounds to be lightweight, you should be able to do much better than that for a warm water BC, especially since you'll be getting a smaller size.

For future reference, 4 pounds is about 2kg, one kilogram being 2.20462 pounds.

It was just disconcerting, so I had to let you know.

Bob
Yup. I knew that. Thank for picking up my typo. (Typing faster than I should have.) Original post corrected.

I bought a new Mares Pure SLS a few weeks ago and used it on a 10 day liveaboard trip .. here are my observations so far on this BCD:
1. it is definitely lightweight and is convenient for travel purposes
2. The SLS integrated weight lock system seems quite good .. did not experience any weights falling off.. I also tried putting in the max weight capacity listed in the weight pocket and tried to jiggle and jolt the BCD to try and make it fall off but it held just fine.. so this is an extremely good sign in my opinion. The older mares MRS system had issues reported with weights falling off.
3. within the water the BCD functioned fine .. this was my first back inflated BCD and I did not feel uncomfortable in the water using it from the first dive itself
4. on the surface I did notice that it tends to push you face down when fully inflated... towards the middle of the trip I figured out the best way to handle this was to not fully inflate on the surface (just 70-80%) and move some of the weights to the trim weight pockets in the lower back.. this helped reduce the push forward tendency of the BCD. Maybe others with more experience with back inflated systems can suggest how to improve on this.
5. the BCD seems well built .. plenty of attachment points.
6. there is only 1 rollup pocket so you may have to use the D-Rings to attach stuff that you normally may put in pockets.

overall i am happy with my decision to purchase this BCD as it fits my travel purposes. i would rate it 4/5 .. if i can figure out how to prevent the lean forward tendency on the surface then i would give it a 5/5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom