Interfacing Suunto Vyper to a Mac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mono

Reaction score
How do I do it?
Is there a software? Is there an interface?
Please, keep it simple!

Yes, I've considered to get a KeySpan and VirtualPC, but it seems such an akward and roundabout way to do it.
I sent an e-mail to Suunto re. this and they told me they were busy enough with the PC/Win-software = no Mac-software!

Mono,

I don't use a mac myself, but I've heard that you can compile unix software to run on MacOSX. It may be possible to convert the free suunto downloading program for linux (see
http://www.linuxdiving.org/software/divecomp/ ) to use MacOSX. However, this would probably require some work, and probably isn't the simple solution that you're looking for.

I have heard that you can use Virtual PC then use the standard software downloaded from Suunto and then you should be able to connect, you may need a cable to interface with the mac (not sure if it's to firewire or usb)

But it can be done.

I'm using Virtual PC 6 on my I-Mac to run the Suunto software. It runs great! I have ordered an interface from >http://athenshomesolutions.com/< to hook the Suunto Mosquito to the Mac. The interface from athens ends in a serial port connection so, you do need a Serial to USB converter cable so that you can plug it into the Mac's USB port. I haven't actually transfered data yet, because I;m still waiting for the interface...but it should work. My palm pilot is hooked up serial to USB and it works fine. :rolleyes:

That is the configuration I've been considering;
Vyper -> Suunto interface -> a USB/RS232(9pin) converter -> VirtualPC -> my Mac.
However, a second-hand PC-laptop is an option!
When tested and "should work" has become "works" - please post a message!

I'll be out of town this upcoming week on my honeymoon, but your interface should be there any day now. If you have any trouble with it, let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I get back. Everyone that has tried using my interface with a mac/virtual pc/usb adapter has got it to work so far, but I've heard that the software locks up/is slow a lot of times using this configuration. If it doesn't work at first ( the suunto software may very well not find the interface with a usb adapter, but transfers should still work if the software is set up right), make sure the palm software/any other devices aren't occupying the usb port and thus not allowing divemanager to find the interface.

Jamiei, I did get the interface yesterday! I tried it using the serial to USB converter to a 5 port USB hub. Then tried the 1st step in the Suunto software, finding the port. ;-0 it said it couldn't find anything on any of the ports. I didn't have the Mosquito hooked up to the interface because the software said to locate the port and set up for the Mosquito prior hooking it up. I don't know what to try next. In order to work, the Suunto software will have to find the interface (Com port) :confused:

i did notice in the Windows application (Virtual 6) that it sees two USB devices 1. my 250 Iomega Zip drive and 2. the Palm pilot. It showed the palm even when the palm cradle wasn't hooked to the USB converter and your interface was. Anybody got any good suggestions? :(

I may have already emailed you about this... but couldn't reply to this post cause I was on my honeymoon... sorry... the problem sounds like its the palm pilot occupying the usb port. Thats usually the problem with these devices... I may have already answered this in another thread now that I think about it, but at least if anyone else has the problem they'll be more likely to find the answer on the board now...

Back
Top Bottom