interesting weekend at BH.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were at BH this past weekend and it was quite eventful in many respects. :D:wink::cool2::no::doh2::D:depressed: I am so sore right now I can barely move!

Kevin - it was so nice to finally get to meet you!

My hubby Ron was teaching OW and AOW classes and had a few DMCs with him. We arrived at the HOle early Saturday am to discover the place was filling up fast. We barely had room to put down some tarps for the students (not a great start to the weekend!) After one of our OW students had a panic situation and had to be taken out of the water, another group pulled someone out of water and had them stretched out on the concrete right at the stairs with O2. :shocked2: They never announced anything and people were just walking around the whole thing like it was nothing! I finally walked over and asked was this a "rescue class" or a "real" situation! :confused: No real response so I asked "do I need to call for help?" and they finally replied NO they had called and help was on the way. After about 15 minutes an ambulance arrived and the gentleman was taken away. He was talking and conscious. Afterwards I asked one of the DMs with the group what had happened and they said he had complained of a headache underwater then his eyes rolled back and he went limp, the DM held the man's reg in his mouth and brought him to the surface..... (I was on the surface so didn't see this personally, this is what the guy who pulled him from the water told me - he guessed that the guy may be diabetic or borderline and blood sugar was low - but that is only a guess at this point). So this all happened on Saturday before lunch!
After our diver-panic situation it made me really nervous as I was still keeping an eye on her for any signs of problems.

The Hole was very busy and crowded but I did get into the water to do one nice long deep dive while the OW students did Dive #2. All went okay the rest of the day with the students with only minor issues, but we were all still tense with things having been so crazy at the start. Ron was diving dry for the first 2 dives but it was really HOT, so he decided to switch to his wetsuit - after one dive in the wetsuit he went to zip it back up and the zipper broke! :shakehead: So we had to drag the drysuit back out to the truck, change his weights back, get is other fins.... Uggghhh.... Usually Ron tries to get 3 dives in with the OW and the AOW students on Sat but with all the problems he only got in the first 2 dives with the OW students (except the one person who only got to do Dive #1). The AOW students did great and didn't complain about sitting around so long all day and we all planned to go back after dinner for their night dive.....:D Two of the DMCs had to leave and go back to ABQ so that was leaving us with only one for Sunday...

So at 4pm we called it a day, sent the students off to the hotel and planned to go to Joseph's for dinner. We arrived there at 5pm to find out they were booked full with 2 tour buses and would not allow any other diners. We headed for Lake City Diner, nope booked by another group. We ended up having dinner at the Comet........ just more craziness for the day! We arrive at the Hole for our night dive at 7pm (3 AOW students, Ron, DMC, and one dive-along). After gearing up and fixing several minor gear problems the divers got in and had a great dive....... Finally, one dive that went smoothly! Stella was still there filling tanks when we left.... :shocked2:

Sunday am we arrived at the Hole early to get a better spot for our tarps since we knew we were going to be there ALL day... still had lots of dives left to do for the OW and the AOW. :D This day went much smoother, I got to do only one dive again - I went in the the Deep Dive with Ron and the AOW students (I never miss a deep dive at BH). :D The OW students were again having problems but all finally finished as well as the AOW students. The HOle cleared out pretty early so there were only a few groups left by lunchtime. We didn't leave until 5pm! Poor Ron was in the water constantly. He barely had time to get out, change his tank and drink some water and grab a snack. When we got home last night we still had to unload all the gear........ :shocked2:

So that was our exciting weekend at BH. :D

robin

The limited dining options in Santa Rosa can be frustrating, especially as early as everything closes. I know we have had reservations with groups a couple of times at Josephs and had problems where they struggled to take care of us.

Sometimes, it seems like the only options are McDonalds or Dennys.

The limited dining options in Santa Rosa can be frustrating, especially as early as everything closes. I know we have had reservations with groups a couple of times at Josephs and had problems where they struggled to take care of us.

Sometimes, it seems like the only options are McDonalds or Dennys.

Yeah, Joseph's used to be awesome but has gone way down hill in the past 2 years. The food is marginal now and service is horrible, but when you have a group it can be the only place to go. Even McDonalds in Santa Rosa has horrible service. Sad. After this weekend, I joked that I want to open my own restaruant in Santa Rosa, open only on Friday and Sat nights for Divers ONLY. :D I won't really do it, but boy that would make some huge money!

Hey Robin!! Same back at cha!!

The weekend did seemed to have a "weird vibe" to it. Glad to hear all concerned were OK and everything turned out fine.

My AOW class went just fine, not to much silt kicked up on the deep dives..... :eyebrow: I love taking them over to Perch for the navigation dives. This time of year it really is a challenge and makes them understand the need to trust your instruments! :rofl3:

Hope one of these days we can dive together!:D

On a building progress note; I expected the building to be further along. It doesn't look like much of anything was done over the weeks time since we were there last. But that is the way of Santa Rosa........

BTW, we tried both Josephs and Lake City too. Ending up at Denny's! One of these days when I feel REALLY brave, I want to try that Chinese restaurant.

Hey Robin!! Same back at cha!!

The weekend did seemed to have a "weird vibe" to it. Glad to hear all concerned were OK and everything turned out fine.

My AOW class went just fine, not to much silt kicked up on the deep dives..... :eyebrow: I love taking them over to Perch for the navigation dives. This time of year it really is a challenge and makes them understand the need to trust your instruments! :rofl3:

Hope one of these days we can dive together!:D

On a building progress note; I expected the building to be further along. It doesn't look like much of anything was done over the weeks time since we were there last. But that is the way of Santa Rosa........

BTW, we tried both Josephs and Lake City too. Ending up at Denny's! One of these days when I feel REALLY brave, I want to try that Chinese restaurant.

I do hope that student with the CO group is okay. Hopefully someone will post here to let us know.

:D Yes, we all need to head over to BH without students sometime and just dive for fun! :rofl3:

About the construction - Stella told us that no work has gone on since we were over 2 weeks ago because they failed their first plumbing inspection. Big surprise. They don't have to rip anything out luckily so they should start back up this week...... :rofl3:

Yes, good Ol' BlueHole, a laugh a minute!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom