Interesting Lake Travis find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Em_Dee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Don't know if this has been posted before.
Not really diving related, but interesting anyway.

I wonder exactly where on the lake this was located?

Drought aids in archeological discovery on Lake Travis
06:22 PM CDT on Monday, August 28, 2006
By MICHAEL MENDOZA / KVUE News
While many are giving thanks for the rain we saw Monday, the lack of rain helped uncover a remarkable find near the shore of Lake Travis.
The drought has taken its toll on Central Texas.
No where else, is that more visible than on Lake Travis.
David Houston helped find a piece of our past around the dry shoreline.
"I saw the forearm, the skull and the lower jaw," said Houston
A pre-historic burial site uncovered by the archeological enthusiast.
"It's a once in a lifetime find for both me and for professionals. They're very rare," said Charles Hixson, an LCRA Staff Archeologist.
"At least from the style of the spear point we found at the campsite we think it dates to about 1,500 years ago," added Hixson.
He says less than 10 pre-historic burials have been found around Lake Travis.
"If we didn't retrieve it, it would have eroded into the lake and all that information would have been lost," said Hixson.
The waters of Lake Travis have receded considerably since the beginning of our drought. It's the main reason why the ancient skeleton was found. As the drought continues and the water keeps receding, more and more ancient campsites are being found.
"The problem with the lake right now is people just walking around the shoreline and picking up artifacts. Not a lot of digging just mainly picking up artifacts," added Hixson.
LCRA handed the skeletal remains to the University of Texas at Austin for further research.
They were received by UT's Texas Archeological Research Lab Monday morning located at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus in north Austin.
The bones will not be exhibited out of respect for Native Americans.

Here’s the link:
http://www.txcn.com/sharedcontent/dws/txcn/austin/stories/082806kvuebones-gv.45188895.html

-Em

I'm a bone hunter too and the drought has truely been a mixed blessing for me.
The rivers beds have not had much errosion because they are dry but the lakes being down the way they are have shown some nice new finds. I actually started Scuba Diving to extend my search underwater. I don't find much underwater but heck, thats OK, I just love to dive now :D

http://www.frankpoye.com/fossilosophy

At least something good has come from the low water.
Now I have something else to keep my eyes peeled for while diving!

Back
Top Bottom