Interesting Jelly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Back when I was a PC, I lost access to a number of hard drives. I still have them and plan to take classes to be a data recovery tech. I recently clicked on the "attachments" link on my Yahoo mail page and was surprised to find all the photos and docs both sent or received for the last 5 years. I suppose the mail I deleted may not have left a pic or doc, but there were still a lot of pics and docs!

I may have posted these here back in '07, but there was that big SB server crash and these pics were not in my gallery, until today. This remains one of the most unique encounters of my diving career.

Very interesting Jelly - any idea what kind it is? Also was this taken in Hawaii? (I don't recognize the fish and the water color looks 'different' than we usually get)

Thanks for sharing :)

Aloha, Tim

p.s. about 2-3 ft long?

This was in 10-12' deep water just off the Renaissance (Mokapu Beach). That is a juvi barred jack and thank you very much for asking! When I went to Keoki Stender's site to confirm my memory of it's name (I did remember correctly by the way) the fish below it (yellowspot jack) is shown in one of the pics with this jelly!!!

No id there but it's probably on Keoki's jelly page. I'm in NM right now so it's after 11 and I got to hit the hay. If you don't find it tonight I will tomorrow.

Ah shallow water, that explains the color - it looks like a Pelagic Jellyfish according to Phylum Cnidaria - Jellyfishes & Siphonophores (about 1/4 of the way down the page) nothing else looks like it on that page. About the right size too. Just don't normally think of Pelagic as nearshore -

Thanks again for sharing both your experience and photography with all of us.

Aloha, Tim

Different Steve here.

Cool pictures, I've seen two of those, or something very similar, in Kona back around 2000 or so. Reminds me of dreadlocks. That fish (whatever it is) is huge, I recall seeing several tiny ones (fingernail sized) of similar appearance hanging amongst the tentacles and the bell on one I saw.

Neat stuff!

That fish (whatever it is) is huge, I recall seeing several tiny ones (fingernail sized) of similar appearance hanging amongst the tentacles and the bell on one I saw.

Neat stuff!

Keoki's page claims the barred jack grows to 21 inches, so this one is less than half full size, but when they are keki they would be just nail sized. I think they stay with their food source, both nibbling and defending the jelly.

the pelagic jelly is on this Keoki page;

Phylum Cnidaria - Jellyfishes & Siphonophores

Oh, just saw that's the same page as Tim linked!

Nice spot! Pelagic jellyfish occasionally blow in with storms or get lost and are found shallow. They were always a crowd pleaser among the staff at the Waikiki Aquarium, but were never put on display because the jellies never did well in captivity. I have yet to see one in the wild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom