Interesting find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Knight

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was moving my steel 72 that I purchased in November off Ebay. Great tank by the way. Anyway hadn't paid much attention to the tank numbers since it was last hydroed in 04 so has lots of time left on it. Well last night I noticed the orginal manufacture hydro date. It's the same as my birth month and year. I think that's sort of unique tank and I are the same age.

PADI Knight:
Was moving my steel 72 that I purchased in November off Ebay. Great tank by the way. Anyway hadn't paid much attention to the tank numbers since it was last hydroed in 04 so has lots of time left on it. Well last night I noticed the orginal manufacture hydro date. It's the same as my birth month and year. I think that's sort of unique tank and I are the same age.

It is!

The other day I VIPd a cylinder (steel) that was first hydro'd one year after I was born.

The tank is in great shape. I think it was a steel 72 as well.

yeah, since me and the tank share the same birth day (sort of say) it's like an I now have underwater lungs. Whoop eee

I am hoping to retain my + rating

PADI Knight:

That sounds great. Just goes to show the benefit of going Steel. I wonder if an aluminum would have lasted. Someone is bound to tell us!

man didn't even know they would last that long! well that is deffinitly swaying my decision on what type of tank to buy.

I've seen large steel tanks at a dive shop that had original hydro dates from before WW2 (I think from the early to mid 1930's) that were still going strong.

if only cars lasted that long with only a look at once a year and a hydro(Oil change?) every 5 :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom