Interesting Drysuit problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Scubaboard,

This is my first post here after lurking here for a while. I've finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak...

I hope I posted this in the right section, if not, please move it.

Anyways, last November I bought a Scubapro Evertec LT drysuit. It was my first drysuit and I absolutely loved it. The construction, material, fit, and everything was great. I used it for around 40 dives or so until after one day, I noticed something strange with it. There seemed to be several "bubbles" in the drysuit around the crotch area where the material/layers seemed to be separating. I got in contact with my dive shop and they said that it was unusual, so they contacted Scubapro and they sent back the drysuit for a replacement as per ScubaPro's warranty. Apparently they had some other customers who had the same issue as I did. A week later I received my replacement and I was happy as a clam! I was extremely happy with the service my LDS and Scubapro's service since they handled it so well. I trimmed the seals and I took the drysuit out on a few dives. Now, the same issue is happening, again, in the same area. Right now there are a couple of small spots in the crotch area that seem to be coming apart... Click here for a picture

This is the second drysuit to have this issue and it's coming apart after just a few dives, which is hugely frustrating. I do not believe that I am doing anything to it that could cause this issue but having two drysuits doing this back to back from a hugely popular and respected company like Scubapro is highly unusual. My only theory is that the crotch strap on my XDeep BP/W is rubbing against the material which is causing stress on the fabric/adhesives, but the strap itself is not overly tight or anything; it fits properly. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on here before I contacted my LDS again regarding this issue as maybe someone here has had similar issues in the past. I don't know if it's something really worth stressing out over but I'm a bit OCD with keeping my dive gear in good shape. I don't know if more spots will develop, or if the ones I have right now will get bigger, and eventually lead to leaks?

Any insight and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

so as a textile engineer, I'm actually pretty familiar with this issue. It is delamination of the layers caused by improper manufacturing techniques or improper care.

Is the xDeep crotch strap the same impregnated webbing as the should/waist or is it soft or padded? That is usually an issue where the end cords cut through the drysuit fabric, but that usually takes 100+ hours in a suit before it's an issue

If other customers were contacting them about it though, it is definitely a manufacturing defect and should be replaced.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The crotch strap of the XDeep BP/W is much more flexible than the waist strap. The webbing that goes around the waist is very stiff. The issue on the second drysuit presented itself after only about 5 hours of dive time.

Also, make sure you pull the legs up when getting in the water. If the suit ”shrink wraps” on you with the crotch area a bit low, quite a bit of stress can be put on the seam area as you kick.

Just a quick update. I went to my LDS today and they contacted Scubapro for me. They said they would replace the replacement drysuit again, so I came home with a new replacement drysuit... I just hope that this one doesn't have the same issue yet again. I really do like this drysuit and it would bum me out if I had to go out and buy another one. Hopefully it was just a few bad batches, although coincidentally the serial/batch number was only off by 2 compared to the previous drysuit, so we shall see! I am extremely happy with the support my LDS and Scubapro has given me.

Also, make sure you pull the legs up when getting in the water. If the suit ”shrink wraps” on you with the crotch area a bit low, quite a bit of stress can be put on the seam area as you kick.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind as well. Although I'm pretty sure everything is fitted and adjusted properly, I'll be sure to take extra care of this next time I get in the water. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: RJP
if the serial was only off by 2 it was likely just a bad batch of material from their supplier of the trilaminate. Make sure that this one is from a new lot.

if the serial was only off by 2 it was likely just a bad batch of material from their supplier of the trilaminate. Make sure that this one is from a new lot.

I don't know what the serial was for my original one, but what I meant was the serial number for my 2nd one and my new (3rd) one are only off by two. However, I don't think it's very likely the batches/serials are similar since I got the first one in November and I got my replacement (#2) in May, even though they both had the delamination issue.

I'm going to do whatever I can in my power to reduce the stress on that particular area though, from loosening the BP/W crotch strap even more and maybe even tighten the suspenders a little bit so the waist is a litter higher. I think it's also worth noting that I did not have this problem until I upgraded to a BP/W setup. I used a Scubapro Knighthawk BCD and the issue only appeared after I bought this XDeep BP/W so it supports the crotch strap theory.

I will keep this thread updated though. I am taking my Intro to Tech class this weekend so I will know soon enough as to how well it is going to hold up!

Last edited:
serial numbers correlate to batch numbers, whether you got it in November or May doesn't matter, if the serials are only 2 apart they're from the same batch. Don't be surprised if the third one gives you trouble. If he had them in stock they may have been sitting at the distributor, they aren't a huge drysuit brand, wouldn't surprise me if they just had a big batch of them sitting

I don't know what the serial was for my original one, but what I meant was the serial number for my 2nd one and my new (3rd) one are only off by two. However, I don't think it's very likely the batches/serials are similar since I got the first one in November and I got my replacement (#2) in May, even though they both had the delamination issue.

I'm going to do whatever I can in my power to reduce the stress on that particular area though, from loosening the BP/W crotch strap even more and maybe even tighten the suspenders a little bit so the waist is a litter higher. I think it's also worth noting that I did not have this problem until I upgraded to a BP/W setup. I used a Scubapro Knighthawk BCD and the issue only appeared after I bought this XDeep BP/W so it supports the crotch strap theory.

I will keep this thread updated though. I am taking my Intro to Tech class this weekend so I will know soon enough as to how well it is going to hold up!

Outlook grim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom