Interesting day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today was one of those that is becoming more and more common. Show up at Marine, hook up to the big boat and go to Hayden Lake for some SS playing. Ummm I mean training.

The only difference today was we had a meeting first to let some of the guys know that one of our older team members is back on the team. He quit the department several years back and returned a little over a year ago. His probation is up so when he applied to get back on the team he made it.

For now he will be tending until around mid January when I will issue him his gear and he can start diving.

After some house cleaning we go to the lake and get launched. When we get there all four of us are feeling a bit uneasy about a BMX style bike on the dock with a local school logo sweat shirt, a pair of socks, a water bottle and nobody around. Maybe they are around the corner fishing.

So we play with the SS until just after 1100 when I have to leave and get qualified with my new gun. The rest of the crew stayed on the water.

At around 3 instead of going home I’m back at the Marine building. The Sgt asks if I feel like diving. DUH, Does a bear Poo in the woods? I say the Hayden Docks? He says yup and I responded with, I was going to ask if we could. He told me they had Deputies out checking all the local schools to see who was missing. Nobody, everyone who was supposed to be in school was there. But that doesn’t eliminate the possibility a kid is out there.

I get the DPV and head out to the lake and meet up with two other team members who are seasoned FNG’s. They suit up and do the dock and boat ramp area. I take off with the DPV and search a few acres in the very clear water. Vis was around 50+ feet so could make some fairly fast wide compass runs.

Witnesses said they saw a kid fishing on the docks at 0700 but nobody saw him leave. So until we have something more to go on we’re done.

It’s a large shallow area. The deeper area, all of <20’ has already be run with the SS. We dove the rest of the shallower area.

This will short circuit some of the Rec folks because this wouldn’t be considered a dive. Max depth was 13’, 34 minutes down in 68df water. Sometimes the job just calls for it to be a bit shallower.

This is the first time in a long time I am very glad I find what I was looking for. Lets just pray the kid forgot his stuff.

Gary D.

I forgot to mention that my spider came in so I can put the MK-1 or MK-8 into service and the three new USIA suits will be here next week.

Our token Fireman is getting one so HE CAN GIVE ME MY TLS350 BACK and two of the White&#8217;s will be placed into reserve status.

Sorry guys but I still have room in the toy box. :D

Gary D.

Hi Gary,

I am an avid reader of your PSD posts, but this one really made me stop and think. PSDs must really look at the world through different eyes, with the veil of blissful ignorance pulled back. When something as innocent and mundane as a child's bike can cause such dark thoughts and fears I have to imagine you see things on a daily basis that make you cringe and wonder how long before the beeper goes off.

I am just glad there are people out there willing to do such a tough job risking their lives as well as their sanity/emotional well being.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey, Gary. It's been several days since you last posted to this, hopefully no gnus is good gnus? Say hi to Wobbles, too!:wink:

I&#8217;ve been in Vegas for the past 9 days and it sure feels good to be back home. I missed two dive training days which sucks but there will be more.

Here are our new guns.

Mine is like the third one down; M16 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this one in 45; H&K USP - Gunpedia

Gary D.

I too have noticed that I look at everyday things differently since joining the team, if the creeks are rising with rain or open ice on the local pond stuff like that gets me thinking.

BTW Gary, nice weapons. Have several AR's myself and 2 in the M-4 configuration as well as 2 HK's one a 9mm and one a .45 acp....

Back
Top Bottom