Interesting conversation with Princess Cruises today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
I called to ask about booking dives for my cruise in December in Panama, and asked them if they could tell me what dive companies they used (I want to check them out), and they told me they cant give out that kind of information to customers. Are they trying to protect their profit? I know for a fact they use Don Fosters in Grand Cayman for dives there, and if I book directly with him, it will cost me less, and I wont be paying for gear rental when I will be diving with my own gear.
Also, a question. Is it better for divers to book dives directly with dive companies instead of thru the cruise line?

I saved money and headaches by doing research before I left for the cruise. The only problem is that the times of the dive with an outside agency may not coincide with your port times.
For the trip I am planning in December, I am booking some of my own excursions.

bryan.mallin:
I saved money and headaches by doing research before I left for the cruise. The only problem is that the times of the dive with an outside agency may not coincide with your port times.
For the trip I am planning in December, I am booking some of my own excursions.
I think I am going to try and book this GC dive thru the cruise line, for the sole purpose of having transportation to and from the dive docks. Luckily, Don Fosters is the company i wanted to dive with anyways. If Princess didnt use Don Fosters, I would probably book direct with them. I got an email back from Fosters advising me to book thru the cruise line, so I guess I would be best to do that. In Coz however, I am not yet sure what I am going to do.

I hope you don't mind some unsolicited opinions
Furner:
I think I am going to try and book this GC dive thru the cruise line, for the sole purpose of having transportation to and from the dive docks.

If you go with www.neptunesdivers.com they will provide a ride back to the tender dock if you wish. They do advise you to take a public bus to Public Beach on 7 mile to meet them before the dives. I went with them and was not disappointed. 8 divers max on their boat.

Furner:
In Coz however, I am not yet sure what I am going to do.

I went with www.bluextseadiving.com/ when I was in Coz aboard the Grand Princess. I had a great couple of dives and can easily recommend Christi's operation as being good for cruisers too.

Hey, ill never argue with recieving advice on this board! Thanks for the tips. It is still months before I go, so things are still up in the air. Is there usually a morning dive, so that I would make it back before the boat pushes off around 4 or 5?

When your boat gets to GC go AWOL and fly Cayman Air to Cayman Brac. Settle in to Brac Reef Resort and dive with Reef Divers three boat dives a day til you are ready to leave. It's only heaven.....I think I'm having a Brac attack.

I just got back from a cruise with Princess to French Polynesia. I called the 1 800 princess number and was told the same thing, that they can not tell me what operators they use. What I did was went to cruisecritic.com and read posts to find out what operators Princess used at each of the ports and then I researched the dive operators on scuba board. I hope this helps.

I was in Cozumel in April on Island Princess and booked my own dive with Papa Hogs. They use fast boats, the only divers on the boat were my son and myself. They worked it out so that we got back to our ship in plenty of time to do shopping at the dock before our cruise left. The divemaster was great. I would highly recommend them, by the way the price of the two tank dive was about half of what the cruise ship wanted for a two tank dive.

Enjoy your cruise,

In Grand Cayman, you will tender into shore (about a 10 minute ride). In Cozumel, you will dock at the pier and walk off.

Rich Hagelin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom