Interesting Artifact Near Mansfield Dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
See the attached photo. It looks like an artifact/structure Zinc, Mack and I came across while diving Lake Travis earlier this week. If it helps, we were just upriver from Mansfield Dam.

Anybody know what it is??

I'm also looking for some photos of the area either before the dam was built or while it was under construction. If you have any or know where I can find some I'd appreciate it. I'd especially like to locate some aerial photos if they exist.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Mansfield_Structure2.jpg
    Mansfield_Structure2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 277
Nice find :) ....was it deep in the silt....at approx. what depth? Could you tell if much of the structure is still assembled or broken apart??

Nice find :) ....was it deep in the silt....at approx. what depth? Could you tell if much of the structure is still assembled or broken apart??

It was definitely still in one piece and standing. If I'm judging the height correctly, using the man standing beside the structure in the picture as a reference, I'd estimate the height to be around 40'. The top 20', or so, was above the silt. It was in 100' - 105' of water.

We clearly were not the first divers to come across it.

Looks like a temporary fixture to carry electrical wires. Also, you can see in pictures 1-3, from those linked, just how denuded of trees the Bend was (prior to the filling the lake).

Mansfield Dam pictures from scenery & nature photos on webshots
12 pics

make sure to hit the zoom icon, this image linked here is nice and large with good details. you can actually see the river in the background below the hills. It looks like it's facing towards hippy hollow... hard to say.

Those are nice picts...that's where I found the one I posted below. Would you happen to know where I can find more?

Those are nice picts...that's where I found the one I posted below. Would you happen to know where I can find more?

those are the best ones i remember finding online... i do wonder if the Texas History museum might have anything? or something on UT campus. Possibly even the TxDot archives. You've got me curious now... might be a trip to the museum soon.

Very cool....I have not heard anyone at least on the forum's comment to diving on it, but yea i would think it has been examined before by divers....still a great fine!

There was ample evidence that the sight has been dove before. However, based on the silt layer, I'd say it has been quite some time since anyone has paid a visit.

Thanks to K-valve and Zinc for letting a newb (tech) tag along.

Check with Robert at Lake Travis Scuba. He always has the pics of the dam being built on the boat with him. He may know of an online source. Worse case he can probably scan and email his copy.

Back
Top Bottom