Interested In Underwater Photography, Help Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
Hey guys, im extreamly interested in underwater photography and I was wondering what a good camera and housing would be, I realize everybody has different opinions so when you post yours please give me the pros and cons of the camera and housing.

Thank You

The place to start is the sticky post at the top of this page titled 'Getting Started in amateur Photography'.

To offer any type of advice, we need a bit more information. What's your budget, what type of conditions will you typically be diving in, what kind of photos do you expect....snapshot memories or suitable for prints and enlargements?

Yes, I already checked the sticky. Didnt quite find what im looking for. Anyway, the conditions I usually dive in are 5-30(at best) feet visibility. Cold water 60 degrees. But i do go to cozumel often so thats where Ill be taking most of my pictures. My budget is probably around 1500. I want a camera than can adapt for the type of shooting I feel like doing.

ScubaCollin:
the conditions I usually dive in are 5-30(at best) feet visibility. Cold water 60 degrees.

Sounds a bit like Jersey! :wink:

As I said above, Im looking to spend AROUND 1500. I can go over or under (preferably under) lol

Remember to price in a strobe. Will do wonders for macro shooting (given your type of vis). And also a macro lens.

With your budget, the C-5060 and a PT-20 housing will get you started. Don;t worry about a strobe or additional lenses just yet. You need to learn to use the camera inside and out as is first before you start adding peripherals. Master non-strobe shooting first, you'll be much happier with your future photos if you do. In fact, master esch step along the way before you move on to the next. If you don't, you won't get good photos at any stage. The internal built-in flash on Oly cameras is very good and will be all you need for most macro shots.

Spend the rest of your budget on at least one extra battery, preferrably two and a good charger. A large 512meg Compact Flash card...no smaller than 256meg, extra o-rings for the housing, extra dessicant packs. A good carry-on bag if you plan to travel with it. You can spend almost as much on these 'incidentals' as for the camera and housing but they are very important.

Just my 02¢

Hi

Ditto the comments by Dee . I bought a 5060 with a couple of lenses and an
external strobe . I had so much to play with that I wasn't concentrating on basics.
I took all of the "extras" off and went diving with just the basic setup and internal
strobe off .Got much better results .

Safe Diving

Andrew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom