interested in diving in OKC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haley

Registered
Reaction score
One of my g/fs and I will be on a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean in late August - early September of this year, so I've decided I'd like to become certified so I can take my photography underwater. I've never been diving, so I'm looking for recs on classes/training/whatever in the Oklahoma City area. I'm just North of Edmond. I'm not even aware of the costs yet or what all certification entails, so any add'l information would be swell. I'm trying to research on the web as much as possible for now.

Also, do any of you Okies dive in the orange-y lake water here? I have a 40 acre lake (watershed project) that I swim/fish in, but it doesn't seem like you'd be able to see much on the non-blue days (after rains, etc). Just curious!

Thanks!

I got certified in the last two years at a local scuba shop. Scuba Adventures 943-9400, the dive instructor is Tasha. I think she was great. Very patient and very flexible. She does some pool time at OKCCC pool and Oak Tree in the summer. Give her a call, she is always great. Never pushy....

Haley I don't know how far north of Edmond you are but I am from enid. Rescue diver cert. and go to w. carribian 2 times a year . classes here, in edmond, in okc, etc.. If you need help on anything let me know. Jack

haley:
I'm looking for recs on classes/training/whatever in the Oklahoma City area. I'm just North of Edmond. I'm not even aware of the costs yet or what all certification entails, so any add'l information would be swell.
Thanks!
Haley, I'm in Edmond as well. Not a ton of experience with the local dive shops, as I've only lived here for a year. There are a two I like going into, two neutral, and one you couldn't pay me to walk in their door.

I was in Adventure Sports Saturday, their open water is $150, plus books. I forgot to ask if equipment rental is included, sorry. Try to get the total price on training, not just the class. If not packaged together, equipment rental, dives, books, and the class can add up quick even though the class may look like a bargain up front. Also, where are the open water dives? Some are not local, and may require an overnight stay somwhere.

Most shops require you to purchase mask/fins/snorkle/booties for the classes. Ask for a student discount from the dive shop, you just might get it. You can get equipment much cheaper online, but getting the right mask is critical, and can't be done online. Dive once with a leaking mask and you'll know how important it is. You can always use this equipment to snorkle, so don't think of it as a waste should you (gasp) not like diving. Expensive masks are not always the best, by the way.... proper fit is the important thing.

And no, I've looked at the lake behind my house and decided it wasn't worth getting muddy over!

Good luck, and private message me if you have questions!

Jeff

All the equipment should be included except for snorkel and mask and they should let you borrow those. I don't know where Edmond goes for open water probably LETRA but we go to Tenkiller which opens a new scuba park in April and it does require a overnight stay at the lake .

Check the phone book, we have some excellent dive shops in the Edmond - OKC - Norman area. It's winter, so we just make the rounds to see what classes/trips are offered.
Also check with Cheryl and Kelly at Horizons Unlimited at 524 E. Memorial. The dive club meets on the first Tuesday, usually at the shop. We took our Nitrox course with them.
Tasha at Scuba Adventures, 4920 N. Meridian, is a great instructor. We took Advanced Open Water and equipment servicing with her, and our oldest daughter took Open Water Diver with her.
Gene's AquaPro in Gore, OK, is on Lake Tenkiller. His website is off, right now, but three of us did our OWD with him in 2003.

Here is another thread on dive sites. Good luck and enjoy the other half of the lakes!
http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=83510&page=1&pp=10

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom