Interest=hobby=profession?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kc

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there! I am kc from Malaysia. i am a very new in scuba diving. haven't tried scuba diving before, have tried snorkeling before. But i am very keen on do it in near future..
I have considered to be in scuba diving industry and take this as my profession, could be a diving instructor or diving master..or start my own training school.

But can anyone tell me if i am in this industry, let's say become a scuba diving instructor, what will be my salary range like??
I am currently an officer in a financial institution with some commitment (car installment, parents..). Will i able to maintain the level of income that i am earning currently if i would become a diving instructor?

Someone out there, please advice..:confused:

Sorry, no info on salary, just enjoying the diving.. Probably you should try it first, make sure you enjoy it... I love it, but am keeping my day job...

Have fun & hope you get some answers...

kc:
Will i able to maintain the level of income that i am earning currently if i would become a diving instructor?

Sort of hard to say, not knowing what you are earning currently.

That said, a good rule of thumb in answer to your question is "no"

:D

Welcome to SB!

kc:
Will i able to maintain the level of income that i am earning currently if i would become a diving instructor?

Not likely....

I think part of the reason for low earnings as an instructor is that full time professionals are competing with part time instructors who are doing it out of a love of the sport with money not being the biggest driving force.

It does sound like you are well positioned to become an avid diver with your current job.

Pete

welcome aboard

Not likely....

I think part of the reason for low earnings as an instructor is that full time professionals are competing with part time instructors who are doing it out of a love of the sport with money not being the biggest driving force.

It does sound like you are well positioned to become an avid diver with your current job.

Pete
Hi Spectrum, Thx for your comment/ advice anyway..
Here comes a good news from me!
I am going to start my dive in this coming Arpil 2009 at Mabul Island, Sabah Malaysia (an island just 25 mins away from Sipadan Island). I will enrol in the Open Water Dive and Advanced Open Water Dive Course for a start. I will feel it first, and will also gather some useful info from the instructors over there..

Sort of hard to say, not knowing what you are earning currently.

That said, a good rule of thumb in answer to your question is "no"

:D

Welcome to SB!
Hi RJP, Thx for your comment/ advice anyway..
Here comes a good news from me! I am going to start my dive in this coming Arpil 2009 at Mabul Island, Sabah Malaysia (an island just 25 mins away from Sipadan Island). I will enrol in the Open Water Dive and Advanced Open Water Dive for a start. I will feel it first, and will also gather some useful info from the instructors over there..

Sorry, no info on salary, just enjoying the diving.. Probably you should try it first, make sure you enjoy it... I love it, but am keeping my day job...

Have fun & hope you get some answers...
Hi Catra8104Thx for your comment/ advice anyway..
Here comes a good news from me! I am going to start my dive in this coming Arpil 2009 at Mabul Island, Sabah Malaysia (an island just 25 mins away from Sipadan Island). I will enrol in the Open Water Dive and Advanced Open Water Dive for a start. I will feel it first, and will also gather some useful info from the instructors over there..

There's not much money in being a dive instructor. You can make some money if you own the dive shop, but you are seriously jumping the gun here. Go dive just for fun this summer. If it suites you, then proceed with your plans. The underwater world is beautiful, but diving isn't for everyone. Good luck!

KC,

Welcome to ScubaBoard! If you have an interest in Scub diving, you have certainly come to the right place. Your question about becoming an instructor, and being able to sustain your quality of life, is a question often asked on these forums. A good discussion going on currently can be found here.

As mentioned above, get certified and start diving, first, then see if the passion is still there. If you still have a passion for diving, then continue your education through instructor. It sounds as if you have a solid career right now, which will help you get to the instructor level.

Best of luck to you in your pursuits, and enjoy ScubaBoard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom