Integrated Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smurf Stomper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since no one else has begun the discussion, I'll do it!

I'm going to be making my own weight pouches soon, figured it's much cheaper than buying (especially counting shipping costs). Best of all, they can be customizable for different weights.

Simply, I'm going to buy some shotgun 'shot' (the bb pellets) to put into a homemade mesh pouch. Buying the material, all I will have to do is run in through a sewing machine, cutting it appropriately and including a fold over flap that will attach to the body of the pouch via velcro.

I guess if the opening leaks, one could always seal it with a run through the sewing machine.

I think you are talking about home made soft weights, not integrated weight.

Since no one else has begun the discussion, I'll do it!

I'm going to be making my own weight pouches soon, figured it's much cheaper than buying (especially counting shipping costs). Best of all, they can be customizable for different weights.

Simply, I'm going to buy some shotgun 'shot' (the bb pellets) to put into a homemade mesh pouch. Buying the material, all I will have to do is run in through a sewing machine, cutting it appropriately and including a fold over flap that will attach to the body of the pouch via velcro.

I guess if the opening leaks, one could always seal it with a run through the sewing machine.
I had about 100# of lead shot in the garage for reloading shells but gave up when I could not find any fabric that I thought would be good enough and did not have access to the sewing machine, broke my heart to have to pay for the soft weights when I bought them. Hope your weights work out and just make sure that you use some good durable fabric and stitch them with some good marine thread, preferably one that they use for boat upholstery.

doesnt "mesh" fabric have holes in it?? :D

ive made soft lead pouches for hubby to use in his rebreather counterlungs (1lb & 2lb)... ive used lyrcra then 1mm neoprene and then i found a polyester/canvas type fabric that was quick drying but hard wearing also

unlike the store bought soft pouches that are heat sealed packets, i found the homemade ones remain plyable and soft

the good thing about doing it myself i was able to attach the clips he chose for his unit

cheers

If you do a search of the forum for weight pouches,
you'll find lots of information about making your own.

I made some about 8-10 yrs ago that I'm still using. I used ripstop nylon from a fabric store and the wife double sewed rectangular pouches on four sides with the exception of about 3/4" at one corner. I turned them inside out, filled them with shot through a funnel, and tucked and hand stitched the last 3/4".

I've never had one tear or open in any way. The lead did "milk" a little the first year, but hasn't in years.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom