Integrated weights versus weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it varies a lot and depends on the BC.

I lost a weight pocket in Egypt. The BC was a brand new (never used) Seaquest Passport, and I had very little weight in it (probably 5 or 6 pounds). Not sure why I lost it - probably user error.

My Seaquest Black Diamond on the other hand can take up to 20 pounds in each of its pockets - and it they are very secure in there. The velcro holds just fine.

But again, if anyone wants to buy a DUI weight harness, I'll be happy to sell :)

Last edited:
My Seaquest Black Diamond on the other hand can take up to 20 pounds in each of its pockets - and it they are very secure in there. The velcro holds just fine.

That alone would make me run screaming from the building. Velcro collects dust and crap and loses its sticky properties. It also peels slowly and if thats all that's holding the weights in thats a bad idea. Of all the various methods of holding weights securely velcro is probably the worst i can think of.

I would think that finding weight pockets at dive sites is more indicative of divers handing up the weight pocket while re-boarding the dive boat. I've seen it a number of times where the diver or deck hand fumbles the hand off.

I wonder how many pockets really come out during an actual dive?

I would think it's very rare. I have a Scubapro Classic BC with weight pouches. Only one time in about 250 dives with this jacket did it ever slip out and then it's secured by a sturdy clip/buckle. My other two dive buddies have similar BC's with weight pouches that clip in and they have never had it happen.

I would think that if you took an equal number of divers and half had WI BC's and the other half weight belts, over time there would be a lot more belts lying on the bottom than weight pouches.

BDSC

I would think that finding weight pockets at dive sites is more indicative of divers handing up the weight pocket while re-boarding the dive boat. I've seen it a number of times where the diver or deck hand fumbles the hand off.

I wonder how many pockets really come out during an actual dive?

I've seen it twice... once on a Lake Michigan dive... once in Bonaire. Both times I was within arms reach of the 'dropee' and grabbed them... and, both times, there was aother DM close who grabbed the weight...

... both times were in *fairly* shallow water (about 24 feet in Lake Michigan)... about 50 feet in Bonaire.

No real idea of WHY the pockets came out... nothing around to "catch and pull"... best guess was the the pocke just wasn't fully "clipped in" at the start...

I would think it's very rare. I have a Scubapro Classic BC with weight pouches. Only one time in about 250 dives with this jacket did it ever slip out and then it's secured by a sturdy clip/buckle. My other two dive buddies have similar BC's with weight pouches that clip in and they have never had it happen.

I would think that if you took an equal number of divers and half had WI BC's and the other half weight belts, over time there would be a lot more belts lying on the bottom than weight pouches.

BDSC
The Scubapro system is superior at securing the weights than many others that might use velcro, for example. Your experience is probably not a representative sample.

I've seen it twice... once on a Lake Michigan dive... once in Bonaire. Both times I was within arms reach of the 'dropee' and grabbed them... and, both times, there was aother DM close who grabbed the weight...

... both times were in *fairly* shallow water (about 24 feet in Lake Michigan)... about 50 feet in Bonaire.

No real idea of WHY the pockets came out... nothing around to "catch and pull"... best guess was the the pocke just wasn't fully "clipped in" at the start...

More than likely, it was not installed properly to begin with. Buddy check?

Once, diving in Hawaii, a diver pulled the weight pocket and missed the hand off to the deck hand. Down it went and was recovered by another diver on his way up.

I just don't think they fall out on their own if installed properly.

The Scubapro system is superior at securing the weights than many others that might use velcro, for example. Your experience is probably not a representative sample.

I think it would be a representative sample of people with pouches for their BC. I have seen some older BC's that have some sort of string or pull system that makes them WI. I don't know how well that method secures the weights though.

That alone would make me run screaming from the building. Velcro collects dust and crap and loses its sticky properties. It also peels slowly and if thats all that's holding the weights in thats a bad idea. Of all the various methods of holding weights securely velcro is probably the worst i can think of.
Velcro is fine as long as you make sure it gets maintenance just as anything else. If you dont make sure the velcro isnt filled with whatever crap can (and will) get stuck there itll hold just as bad as anything else thats not in proper condition.

More than likely, it was not installed properly to begin with. Buddy check?

Gotta' agree... but "buddy check"... wow... sometimes I think getting divers to do buddy checks is like living in the midwest expecting an entire year where the temps never very between 70 and 85... :rofl3: :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom