Integrated Air Source vs. Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2DiveOrNot2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing the biggest advantage to an integrated air source is the fact that it's streamlined. Other than that, is one superior over the other? I'm considering SeaQuest's integrated air source to go along with their Balance BC. I'll be diving in warm water, primarily. Off the coast of California is about as cold as I think I'll be diving in.

This is an often-debated topic, although it's not an easy one to search.

My two cents' worth: I bought an Air2 with my original BC. I discovered that donating a primary regulator on a 24" (standard) hose is not comfortable at all. In addition, having an Air2 without an octopus pretty much confines you to using your own BC. You can't borrow or rent a BC if it doesn't have one, unless you are willing to go without an alternate air source altogether. The minimal advantage of having one fewer hose seems outweighed, to me, by the disadvantages. Others will disagree.

Agree with TSandM. Breathing and venting BC from an Air2 while maintaining a safe ascent hanging on to your buddy in a stressful (at least) situation just adds unnecessary complications when you need them least.

This is an often debated subject, and admittedly, don't do well in searches but i will give you my stance.

Trading off your primary is what is done by cavers and the DIR crowd. You should be able to do this easily and without complications, if not then I suggest more pool time and practice.

If I don't have my BC with me, I likely don't have my regs either, so that isn't a problem for me. I can't see myself diving somewhere where I wouldn't have my own gear with me anyhow.

Since you are constantly using your auto inflate, your muscle memory is instinctual to know where your alternate air source is. I contact my inflator/air source dozens of times over the course of a dive, compare that to someone with a dangling octo dragging in the sand or stuffed into a pocket someplace because it keeps dangling in the sand.

Watching new and experienced divers, those trained to switch out their primary and grab an integrated secondary air source can more quickly do the drill and with less fumbling than even more experienced divers using an octo that they are more likely to fumble for in a panic situation. YMMV

Solutions would be to run a longer hose on your primary if you don't feel you can handle a shorter hose well and I even know a DM buddy of mine that occasionally attaches an octo on his setup also.

An octo really starts to look like an octopus when you have primary, HP, DS inflator, BC inflator and an octo hose coming out of it.

IMHO, its not the streamlining but the instinctual muscle memory recall that makes an OOA situation that much less stressful, when you don't even have to think about it. Of course, with sufficient practice and training, this can even be done with an octo. Just make sure your octo isn't dangling in the sand like most of the divers I see. Look around this board and see how many dives have been distracted or aborted due to leaky octos.

This is one of those topics that shouldn't come up in "polite conversation," sort of like politics, religion, force fins or leisure pro. Thanks for asking though.

JustinW:
Trading off your primary is what is done by cavers and the DIR crowd.

It's becoming mainstream to donate the primary. It's the only option with an AIRII and has its advantages with an octo as well.

I have an Air2, I may keep it, I might not .. but I did get a longer hose on my primary just for the reasons cited

tedwhiteva:
Agree with TSandM. Breathing and venting BC from an Air2 while maintaining a safe ascent hanging on to your buddy in a stressful (at least) situation just adds unnecessary complications when you need them least.
Wouldn't any BC have a manual vent? Wouldn't any buddy breathing ascent be somewhat stressful? I don't see why using an Air2 would add to the stress of a buddy breathing ascent.

I would also donate my primary (even though I don't have an air2) this ensures that the buddy is getting a fresh breath off of a proven functional second stage.

There ain't no warm water off the coast of California. But I do use an Air 2 and found that to do OOA drills is a little bit hard, I'm thinking of changing to a longer primary hose which will allow an easier OOA situation by giving more room to share air with my buddy.

JustinW:
This is one of those topics that shouldn't come up in "polite conversation," sort of like politics, religion, force fins or leisure pro. Thanks for asking though.

I didn't realize this was a topic that was so heavily debated. Thanks for the info though, everyone. So I guess I won't ask to whom I should pray for gifts from LeisurePro. :wink:

dlndavid:
There ain't no warm water off the coast of California. But I do use an Air 2 and found that to do OOA drills is a little bit hard, I'm thinking of changing to a longer primary hose which will allow an easier OOA situation by giving more room to share air with my buddy.
Wouldn't there be enough room, if your buddy is behind you instead of in front?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom