Insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut:
Question about that state farm insurance....did they cover even if you were out of the country with it???

Yes they cover even if you are out of the country. I flooded my strobe in Cayman and they covered it. No hassle at all. They sent me a check to cover the loss but then they cancelled coverage on the strobe and sent me another check for the premium. I need to get the reciept for the replacement stobe to them and get it back on the policy.

Joe

This is great. I had no idea that you could insure this stuff. Now I feel a lot better about buying an underwater digital camera.
-Mike

There are two insurance plans I recommend. First would be DEPP, and the second would be from H2OInsurance.com which is provided through DAN. Both are great policies. The biggest difference between the two is:

DEPP is a higher premium and a lower deductible, and H2Oinsurance has a lower premium, but a higher deductible. I myself choose H2O for the reason that I dont need to pay more annually, Id rather pay a tad bit more in the event I had an incident. I doubt I will ever flood, lose or damage ALL of my equipment. It is more likely to happen to individual pieces.

The other thing is DEPP replaces the equipment and H2O givesYOU the money to take care of it.

Check them both out. www.H2oinsurance.com and equipmentprotection.com

Best of luck, Mike

What items do you include on the flood protection?
Obviously any photo and video gear.
I was thinking I'd ad my canister light.
What about computers?

H2OPhotoPro:
The biggest difference between the two is:

DEPP is a higher premium and a lower deductible, and H2Oinsurance has a lower premium, but a higher deductible. I myself choose H2O for the reason that I dont need to pay more annually, Id rather pay a tad bit more in the event I had an incident. I doubt I will ever flood, lose or damage ALL of my equipment. It is more likely to happen to individual pieces.

The other thing is DEPP replaces the equipment and H2O givesYOU the money to take care of it.

That's all true, but the other thing that I found out when I was deciding which to get was that DEPP will replace an item due to "mysterious loss," where H2O) won't (ie - you had the camera on the dive, you get on the boat and now don't know where it is. Not stolen, necessarily, but lost. Or, you were in open water and triped on deck, tossing it overboard, where it sank into 1000+ deep water.) When I signed up with DEPP, they told me that in an instance like that, I would just need to get a letter from the charter boat or captain saying that that was what happened - no need for a police report when you know it wasn't stolen. Since I'm a klutz and I could see myself losing my camera or accidentaly letting go, I thought that was a worthwhile difference.

Hey everyone,

I just talked to my State Farm REP. They said it would cost $1.60 per $100 coverage per year. So if you owned $5,000 worth of equipment it would cost $80.00 per year for coverage. I ask what the deductible is and they said $0.00. I ask what it covered, they said, if you dropped your equipment and it broke, covered, if some one stole it, covered, if it was damaged in any way, covered. So I ask if it was flooded while diving, covered. If you accidentally drove over it covered. I ask how I would get paid, would you replace the item or pay me in a check. They would pay me in a check. I would get what it cost me when I bought it. You would just have to keep that information up to date with them. They would only cover what they had a record on.

How does this stack up to the other insurances?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom