Insurance....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamomma:
maybe this is a dumb question but, where do you buy the insurance? Homeowners?
Thanks!

A lot of us use DEPP, Divers Equipment Protection Plan.

It's a replacement policy.... they don't pay you, just replace your equipment.

scubamomma:
maybe this is a dumb question but, where do you buy the insurance? Homeowners?
Thanks!

:crafty: I got mine through DAN, very good I think.

Rich

FYI, I've insured camera equipment via homeowners in both Alabama and Texas, using State Farm and Allstate respectively.

In both cases, insurance was available at $10 per year for each $1000 worth of equipment insured, full replacement cost, no exclusions of any sort. Drop it, lose it, flood it, have it stolen, diving or not, they'd pay the full insured value. In Alabama with State Farm I could get any portable electronics insured that way. In TX, only camera equipment.

It's worth checking. These policies beat anything else I could find.

Question about that state farm insurance....did they cover even if you were out of the country with it??? If so, I'm heading over there...I have state farm for homeowners and auto. We have the type of protection you are talking about on my hubby's tools but never figured they would cover my camera if we were out of the country. Let me know!!!

DEPP seems to be much cheaper than DAN, depending on how much gear you have covered it can cost less than half as much as DAN.

Outside of the obvious, (camera, housing, computer, lights) what gear do you have on your policy? Do you have everything covered?

I was thinking if you don't cover everything you would probably cover the other expensive stuff (tanks, exposure suits, BC)?
or
Would you do it the other way around (fins, mask, gloves, etc.) since they are more likely to be damaged by something falling on them or lost in an emergency?

My rule of thumb is anything over $150 gets covered, that's about all I can afford or want to cover out of pocket. So I've got my prescription mask, split fins, BP/Wing, computer, regs, plus the same for Beast, except the mask, plus his drysuit on our policy. And of course both our camera rigs. If any item can be damaged by water, it's also got flood coverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom